Combined Toxic Effects of DBP and DEHP on Sperm in Male Mice
Objective to study the combined toxic effects of di-2-ethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP) and di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP) on spermatogenesis of male mice. Methods Forty Kunming male mice were randomly divided into 4 groups (10 mice in each group): DEHP + DBP (1.6 g/kg DEHP + 0.9 g/kg DBP), DEHP (1/20 LD50 1.6 g/kg), DBP (1/20 LD50, 0.9 g/kg) and a control group which was given corn oil. The experiment was conducted through gavage every other day for 35 days. The mice were sacrificed after treatment and the testis and the epididymis were collected for experiment. The number of sperm, the survival rate of sperm and the sperm malformation rate were detected by histologic examination. Results the sperm count and sperm survival rate in DBP&DEHP group were significantly lower, while the sperm malformation rate in DBP&DEHP group was higher than that of the other groups. Compared with DBP group, the sperm counts and sperm survival rate of DEHP group decreased, but there was no significant difference in sperm malformation rate. No significant difference between DBP and control group was detected. Conclusion DEHP and DBP mixture can induce strong hazardous effect on male reproductive ability.
KeywordsDBP DEHP Sperm survival rate Sperm malformation rate
- 1.Deng C, Chen DY, Luo DG (2011) The research on the transportation simulation of Di-(2-ethylhexyl) Phthalate (DEHP) in vadose zone. Bioinf Biomed Eng, 5th International Conference on 33(7):1–4Google Scholar
- 2.Xu Y, Park J, Kofoed Sorensen V, Clausen P (2008) Characterizing emissions of phthalate plasticizer from vinyl flooring in a specially-designed chamber. Epidemiology 19(6):294–295Google Scholar
- 4.Wang YB, Song L, Zhu ZP (2004) Effect of Dibutyl Phthalate of the biochemical enzymes and lipid per oxidation in rat testes. Natl J Androlog 10(10):729–733Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang YH, Cheng BH, Zheng LX (2003) Study on the level of phthalates in human biological samples. Chin J Prey Med 37(6):429–434Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang J, Li SG, Zhang XW (2009) The genotoxic effect of DBP and DEHP on the drosophila melanogaster. J Toxicol 23(6):119–446Google Scholar