Adults Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome in China’s Tangshan
Objective to compare the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and its main components in the population of Tangshan city at the age of 35–70 years. Methods the 3,562 households of population from Tangshan were chosen by cluster sampling during 2005–2006. The physical examinations and Laboratory tests were performed. Metabolic syndrome was defined according to the International Diabetes Federation consensus worldwide definition in 2005. Results 4,761 subjects participated in the study. The age-standardized prevalence of the MS was 18.7 % in male and 31.8 % in female (P < 0.05). The residents in urban (27.4 %) had a higher prevalence of MS than in rural (23.1 %) (P < 0.05). In female, the prevalence of MS was increased together with age increased either in urban or rural (P < 0.05). Conclusion there is a big difference in the prevalence rate of metabolic syndrome between rural and urban. The prevention and contro1 the metabolic syndrome is urgently in China.
KeywordsMetabolic syndrome Prevalence Epidemiology Cluster sampling Community
- 1.Haffner SM, Valdez RA, Hazuda HP (1992) Prospective analysis of the insulin resistance syndrome. (syndromeX) 41:715–722Google Scholar
- 8.Meigs JB (2002) Epidemiology of the metabolic syndrome. Am. J. Manag. Care 8:283–292Google Scholar
- 11.Chuang S, Chen C, Tsai S (2002) Clinical identification of the metabolic syndrome in Kinmen. Acta Cardiol Sin 18:16–23Google Scholar
- 12.Zhong H, Yu F, Yi X, Za Z (2002) Further study of risk factors for stroke and coronary heart disease cooperation group. Chengdu Inst Phys Edu, (11) 36:298–300Google Scholar
- 13.Yao CH, Hu YS, Zhai FY (2007) Adult’s prevalence of metabolic syndrome in China in 2002. Chin J Diabetes 15:332–335Google Scholar