Cost and Benefits of Denser Topologies for the Smart Grid
The Smart Grid promises to reshape how electricity is generated, distributed, and used. More delocalized generation based on renewable sources will transform end-users into prosumers (producers and consumers) of energy. These will require electric and supporting ICT infrastructures to be able to openly access the energy market. In this paper, we focus on the electric infrastructure issue related to the Smart Grid topic. We consider network models from the literature of Complex Network Analysis and evaluate their ability to be used for the Distribution Grid to reduce the cost of electricity distribution based on topological property. Our initial conclusion is that denser topologies are helpful to reach the goal. However, the cost of realizing such topologies in terms of cabling is not negligible, as we show.
The work is supported by the EU FP7 Project GreenerBuildings, contract no. 258888 and by the Dutch National Research Council, contract no. 647.000.004. Pagani is supported by University of Groningen with the Ubbo Emmius Fellowship 2009.
- 1.Albert, R., Albert, I., Nakarado, G.L.: Structural vulnerability of the North American power grid. Phys. Rev. E 69(2), 025103 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Dorogovtsev, S.N., Mendes, J.F.F.: Evolution of Networks: From Biological Nets to the Internet and WWW. Oxford University Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Garver, L.: Transmission network estimation using linear programming. IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus Syst. PAS-89(7), 1688–1697 (1970)Google Scholar
- 9.Grigsby, L.L. (ed.): The Electric Power Engineering Handbook. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Joskow, P.L.: Lessons learned from electricity market liberalization. Energy J. 29(Special I), 9–42 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Lovins, A.B., Datta, E.K., Feiler, T., Rabago, K.R., Swisher, J.N., Lehmann, A., Wicker, K.: Small is Profitable: The Hidden Economic Benefits of Making Electrical Resources the Right Size. Rocky Mountain Institute, Snowmass (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.National Grid: Undergrounding high voltage electricity transmission—the technical issues. Technical Report, National Grid (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Pagani, G.A., Aiello, M.: The power grid as a complex network: a survey. Technical Report, JBI, University of Groningen. arXiv:1105.3338 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Pagani, G.A., Aiello, M.: Power grid network evolutions for local energy trading. Technical Report, JBI, University of Groningen. arXiv:1201.0962 (2012)Google Scholar