Engineering in Translational Medicine: An Introduction
Molecular and personalized medicine is the future for patient management. Translational medicine, a continuum of research that spans from basic science to clinical applications, is the key to twenty-first century personalized medicine. Engineering is an indispensable component of translational medicine. This book will cover a broad spectrum of engineering research in translational medicine, where leaders in each research topic provide a state-of-the-art summary in 34 chapters on various topics such as cell and tissue engineering (6 chapters), genetic and protein engineering (10 chapters), nanoengineering (10 chapters), biomedical instrumentation (4 chapters), and theranostics and other novel approaches (4 chapters). This book will give the readers a comprehensive and in-depth overview of a broad array of research areas, which can serve as an invaluable reference book for scientists/students/clinicians both new to engineering and currently working in this area.
KeywordsTranslational Research Molecular Beacon Translational Medicine Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles Affibody Molecule
- 10.Mammen M, Chio S, Whitesides GM (1998) Polyvalent interactions in biological systems: implications for design and use of multivalent ligands and inhibitors. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 37(20):2755–2794Google Scholar
- 18.Horton MA, Khan A (2006) Medical nanotechnology in the UK: a perspective from the London Centre for Nanotechnology. Nanomedicine 2(1):42–48Google Scholar
- 33.Gambhir SS, Czernin J, Schwimmer J, Silverman DH, Coleman RE, Phelps ME (2001) A tabulated summary of the FDG PET literature. J Nucl Med 42(5):1S–93SGoogle Scholar
- 34.Alauddin MM (2012) Positron emission tomography (PET) imaging with 18F-based radiotracers. Am J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2(1):55–76Google Scholar
- 43.Goodman M, Zapf C, Rew Y (2001) New reagents, reactions, and peptidomimetics for drug design. Biopolymers 60(3):229–245. doi: 10.1002/1097-0282(2001)60:3<229:aid-bip10034>3.0.co;2-p CrossRefGoogle Scholar