Applied Informatics for Health IT Managers
The Health Informatics program at UAB, an early exemplar of an applied health informatics program with a focus on health IT managers, has been able to address the changing needs or the seeming “moving target” of requisite skills needed in the healthcare IT industry. In this chapter, we examine some of the key factors and influences that led to the increasing importance of information technology in healthcare and the concomitant need for individuals with a background in health informatics to oversee the use of those systems. We discuss the development of the health informatics program at UAB, the path our own program has taken over the years and some “lessons learned” along the way.
KeywordsBurner Vortex Marketing
- 1.U.S. Social Security Administration. Detailed chronology of social insurance & social security. 2012. http://www.ssa.gov/history/chrono.html. Accessed 25 Apr 2013.
- 2.American Health Information Management Association. Evolving HIM careers – seven roles for the future – vision 2006. Chicago: American Health Information Management Association; 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.Johns ML. Relationship of functions performed by hospital Chief Information Officers and organization, job and person-related characteristics. Ph.D. thesis, University of Alabama at Birmingham; 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.American Medical Informatics Association, American Health Information Management Association. Joint AMIA/AHIMA summary of their relationship and links to the informatics field. 2012. http://www.amia.org/joint-amia-ahima-summary.
- 5.American Health Information Management Association. AHIMA CCHIIM – Commission on Certification. 2013. http://www.ahima.org/certification/default.aspx. Accessed 15 Apr 2013.
- 6.Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education. “Welcome to CAHIIM”. 2013. http://cahiim.org/. Accessed 25 Apr 2013.
- 7.Health Information and Management Systems Society [HIMSS]. Health IT Certifications – CAHIMS – CPHIMS. 2013. http://www.himss.org/health-it-certification?&navItemNumber=13588.
- 9.Kulikowski CA, Shortliffe EH, Currie LM, Elkin PL, Hunter LE, Johnson TR, Kalet IJ, Lenert LA, Musen MA, Ozbolt JG, Smith JW, Tarczy-Hornoch PZ, Williamson JJ. AMIA Board white paper: definition of biomedical informatics and specification of core competencies for graduate education in the discipline. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012;19(6):931–8. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2012-001053.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services [HHS]. Health Information Privacy. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/. Accessed 25 Apr 2013.