A 58-year-old male smoker had had essential hypertension for about 15 years. It was well balanced with diuretics. He came for regular checks over the years. At such a check 3 months ago, his blood pressure was 195/110 mm Hg. With the addition of a beta-blocker and an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, it was possible to keep the pressure at around 180/100 mm Hg, thus it was not an optimal treatment result. Creatinine had increased over the last 3 months from 90 to 180–200 Rmol/l. The patient lived an active life and felt well.
KeywordsRenal Artery Essential Hypertension Renal Artery Stenosis Renovascular Hypertension Atherosclerotic Renal Artery Stenosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Pohl MA. Renal artery stenosis, renal vascular hypertension and ischemic nephropathy. In: Schrier RW, Gottschalk CW, editors. Diseases of the kidney, 6th edn. Boston: Little, Brown, 1997; 1367–423.Google Scholar
- 6.Missouris CG, Buckenham T, Cappucio FP, Mac Gregor GA. Renal artery stenosis: a common and important problem in patients with peripheral vascular disease. Am J Med 1994; 96: 10–14.Google Scholar
- 7.P, Thorvinger B, Pärsson H, Norgren L. Renal artery stenosis in patients with peripheral vascular disease and its correlation to hypertension. A retrospective study. Int Angiol 1992; 11: 195–9.Google Scholar
- 8.Holly JV, Chen C, Fire E. Diagnostic criteria of renovascular hypertension with captopril renography–a consensus statement. Am J Hypertens 1991; 4: 7495–525.Google Scholar
- 9.Hansen KJ, Tribble RW, Reavis SW. Renal duplex sonography: evaluation of clinical utility. Vasc Surg 1990; 12: 227–36.Google Scholar
- 14.Bush R, Najibi S, Mac Donald J, Lin P, Chaikol E, Martin L, Lumsden A. Endovascular revascularization of renal artery stenosis: technical and clinical results. J Vasc Surg 2001; 33: 1041–9.Google Scholar
- 15.Slonim S, Dake M. Radiographic evaluation and treatment of renovascular disease. In: Rutherford R, editor. Vascular surgery, 5th edn. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2000; 1611–39.Google Scholar