A Graphical User Interface for Schema Evolution in an Object-Oriented Database
This paper describes work carried out to prototype a GUI to support schema evolution using class versions. Class versions used for schema evolution require a more sophisticated GUI than schema editors (for schema design), because the database is populated an because support is required to browse and maintain the class versions. Current systems for class versioning require exception handlers or conversion functions to be defined as part of the schema evolution process and thus the GUI must provide support for these operations.
A number of desirable properties for such a GUI are discussed and illustrated with examples from the GUI developed by the author.
KeywordsSchema Evolution Class Version Schema Change Class Definition External Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Skarra, A H and SB Zdonik. The Management. of Changing Types in an Object-Oriented Database. In: OOPSLA’86. pp 483–495. 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.Björnerstedt, A and S Britts. AVANCE: An Object Management System. In: OOPSLA’86. pp 206–221. 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, H and H F Korth. Schema Versions and Views in Object-Oriented Databases. In: INFO Japan. pp 277–284. 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.Abiteboul, S and A Bonner. Objects and Views. SIGMOD Record 1991; 20 (2): 238–247.Google Scholar
- 7.Scholl, M H, C Laasch, and M Tresch. Updatable Views in Object-Oriented Databases. In Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases, 189–207. 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.Urban, S D and K Chalmers. An Investigation of the View Update Problem for Object-Oriented Views. In Computers and Communications, Phoenix, 156–163. 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.Monk, S R. The CLOSQL Query Language. Computing Dept, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK, Internal Report Number SE-91–15. 1991.Google Scholar
- 10.Monk, S R and I Sommerville. A Model for Versioning of Classes in Object-Oriented Databases. In BNCOD 10, Aberdeen, ed. P M D Gray and R J Lucas, 42–58. Springer-Verlag. 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.Almarode, J. Issues in the Design and Implementation of a Schema Designer for an OODBMS. In ECOOP’91, Geneva, ed. P America, 200–218. Springer Verlag. 1991.Google Scholar
- 13.Kim, W. Introduction to Object-Oriented Databases. The MIT Press. 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.Keene, S E. Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp - A Programmers Guide to CLOS. Addison-Wesley. 1989.Google Scholar
- 17.Harlequin. LispWorks User Guide. Harlequin Ltd.,Barrington Hall, Barrington, Cambridge, CB2 5RG, UK, 1991.Google Scholar