Rational Utilization of the Stress Shielding Effect of Implants
Fracture healing is an extremely complicated biological process. The primary factor affecting fracture healing is the blood supply to the fracture site, which is the basic assurance of successful treatment, and as well as sustained blood supply to the fracture site, a favorable local mechanical environment is also an essential requirement for fracture healing. Research in past years has shown that the mechanical environment favorable to fracture healing includes two aspects: stability of the fracture ends (exclusion of harmful movement and shear stress) and stimulation of physiological stress. In the past, clinical treatment of fractures focused on the means to ensure the stability of the fracture ends, while modern treatment for fracture gives more regard to the physiological requirements for fracture healing.
KeywordsShape Memory Internal Fixation Fracture Healing Fracture Site Intramedullary Nail
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen YQ, Dai KR, Qiu SJ, Zhu ZA. Bone remodeling after internal fixation with different stiffness plates: Ultra-structural investigation. Chinese Med J 1994; 107: 766–70.Google Scholar
- 2.Wang Y, Dai KR. Effect of internal fixation plates on microcirculation in under-plate cortical bones: microangiography and scanning electron microscopy. Chinese Med J 1994;107:929–33.Google Scholar
- 3.Zhu ZA, Dai KR, Qiu SJ. Repair of regional osteoporosis after removal of rigid fixing plate: an experimental investigation. Chinese Med J 1994;107:364–7.Google Scholar
- 5.Zimmerman M. The design and analysis of a laminated partially degradable composite bone plate for fracture fixation. J Biomed Res 1987;21(Suppl):345–61.Google Scholar
- 12.Tang TT, Dai KR, Xue WD. Mechanical analysis of reaction of changing-stiffness plate to cyclic vertical compressive loading. J Appl Biomech 1996;11(1):42–6.Google Scholar
- 13.Dai M, Dai KR, Qiu SJ. The effects of stress-relaxation plate on bone remodeling: an experimental study. Chinese J Surg 1995;33:698–700.Google Scholar
- 14.Dai KR, Dai Min, Wang KY, Xue WD. The influence of stress-relaxation plate on the geometry configuration and mechanical property of bone: an experimental study. Chinese J Med 1995;75:414–16.Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang XL, Dai KR, Tang TT. The influence of stress-relaxation plate on collagen gene expression and cellular ultrastructure of fracture healing. Chinese J Orthop 2000;20(6):362–5.Google Scholar
- 16.Zhang XL, Dai KR, Tang TT. Effects of stress-relaxation plate on the disorganization and reparation of regional bone structure. Acta Univ Med Second Shanghai 2000; 20(6):488–90.Google Scholar
- 17.Dai M, Dai KR. An experimental study of the effect of stress-relaxation plate fixation on cortical bone microcirculation. Chinese J Orthop 1998;18(8):484–7.Google Scholar
- 18.Zu XS, Dai KR, Wu XT, Xu XL, Xue WD. Investigation on stability of shape memory sawtooth-arm embracing internal fixator. J Appl Biomech 1995;10(2):40–6.Google Scholar