Catastrophic Antiphospholipid Syndrome
The syndrome of multiple vascular occlusions associated with high titer antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) is known as the catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome (APS). Although APS is typically characterized by thrombotic events that either occur singly or, when recurrent, are seen many months or even years apart, some patients with this syndrome may develop widespread, non-inflammatory vascular occlusions. The prevalence and incidence of this condition both in the general population, as well as those with SLE or antiphospholipid antibodies, is unknown. However, expanding numbers of patients fulfilling criteria for catastrophic APS are now reported which reflects increasing familiarity with the disorder.
KeywordsSystemic Lupus Erythematosus Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome Membrane Attack Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Le Loet X, Vittecoq O, Joen-Beades F, Tron F. Catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome. Presse Medicale 1997; 26: 131–134.Google Scholar
- 8.Petras T, Rudolph B, Filler G, Zimmering M, Ditscherlein G, Loening SA. An adolescent with acute renal failure, thrombocytopenia and femoral vein thrombosis. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation 1998; 13: 480–483.Google Scholar
- 19.Belmont HM, Abramson SB, Lie JT. Pathology and pathogenesis of vascular injury in systemic lupus erythematosus. Interactions of inflammatory cells and activated endothelium. Arthritis Rheum 1996; 39: 9–22.Google Scholar
- 26.Lozada C, Levin RI, Huie M, Hirschhorn R, Naime D, Whitlow M, et al. Identification of Clq as the heat-labile serum cofactor required for immune complexes to stimulate endothelial expression of the adhesion molecules E-selectin and intercellular and vascular cell adhesion molecules. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1995; 92: 8378–8382.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Lai KN, Leung JC, Lai KB, Wong KC, Lai CK. Upregulation of adhesion molecule expression on endothelial cells by anti-DNA autoantibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Immunol I m m u n o p a t h o l 1996; 81: 229–238.Google Scholar