Chromosomal DNA Analyses of Staphylococci
Ribosomal RNA (rRNA) gene restriction fragment length polymorphisms and pulsed field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) have been used in analyses of staphylococcal strains and species. Analyses of DNA from different species of staphylococci using a radioactively labelled rRNA probe gave reproducible rRNA gene restriction patterns. These were species-specific, different strains of a particular species having identical or similar profiles. PFGE can also be used to generate restriction profiles which are reproducible and characteristic for different species. Restriction profiles obtained by these methods could be exploited as taxonomic criteria.
KeywordsBromide Electrophoresis Polypeptide Pseudomonas Ethidium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allardet-Servent A, Bouziges N, Carles-Nurit MJ, Bourg G, Gouby A, Ramuz M. Use of low-frequencycleavage restriction endonucleases for DNA analysis in epidemiological investigations of nosocomial bacterial infections.J Clin Microbiol 27: 2057–2061, 1989.Google Scholar
- 2.Irino K, Grimont F, Casin I, Grimont PAD, The Brazilian Purpuric Fever Study Group. rRNA gene restriction patterns of Haemophilus influenzae biogroup aegyptius strains associated with Brazilian purpuric fever. J Clin Microbiol 26: 1535–1538, 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.Kloos WE, Schleifer KH. Simplified scheme for routine identification of human Staphylococcus species. J Clin Microbiol 1: 82–88, 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.Magee BB, D Souza TM, Magee PT. Strain and species identification byt restriction fragment length polymorphisms in the ribosomal DNA repeat of Candida species. J Bacteriol 169: 1639–1643, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Owen RJ, Beck A, Dayal PA, Dawson C. Detection of genomic variation in Providencia stuartii clinical isolates by analysis of DNA restriction fragment length polymorphisms containing rRNA cistrons. J Clin Microbiol 26: 2161–2166, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.de Saxe M, Crees-Morris JA, Marples RR, Richardson JF. Evaluation of current phage-typing systems for coagulase-negative staphylococci. Zentralb Bakteriol Microbiol Hyg (suppl.) 10: 197–204, 1981.Google Scholar
- 7.Schito GC, Varaldo PE. Trends in the epidemiology and antibiotic resistance of clinical Staphylococcus strains in Italy-a review. J Antimicrob Chemother 21 (suppl. C): 67–78, 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.Smith CL, Klco SR, Cantor CR. Pulsed field gel electrophoresis and the technology of large DNA molecules. p. 41–72. In KE Davies (ed.), Genome analysis-a practical approach. IRL Press, Oxford, 1988Google Scholar
- 9.Thomson-Carter FM, Carter PE, Pennington TH. Differentiation of staphylococcal species and strains by ribosomal RNA gene restriction patterns. J Gen Microbiol 135; 2093–2097, 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Thomson-Carter FM, Pennington TH. Characterization of coagulase-negative staphylococci by sodium dodecyl sulf ate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and immunoblot analyses. J Clin Microbiol 27: 2199–2203, 1989.Google Scholar