Database Query Interface for Medical Information Systems
With the development of multimedia technology, there is considerable interest from the medical profession in developing multimedia information systems which can be used to store patient records which include the full set of patient information. In order to use such systems one needs powerful but simple user-friendly interfaces. MIDWIFE (Multi-media Information Database With Intelligent Front End) has been designed to meet these requirements. The basic concepts and model for interaction are described. The use of a hypertext-like approach is an important element in this. The use of browse mode for inspecting results fits well with this notion and is important for a medical information system.
KeywordsSugar Europe Tray Metaphor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AnBB90]Andres F, Bergsten B, Borla-Samet P, et al. EDS — collaborating for a high performance parallel relational database, Proceedings of ESPRIT Conference, Brussels, November 1990.Google Scholar
- [BMDA90]Boddy K, Marsh J, Dripps JH, Arredondo MT, Fernandex G, Vaz F. Telemedicine Requirements, Standards and Applicability to Remote Care Scenarios in Europe, Report D6, Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Edinburgh University, July 1990.Google Scholar
- [Eric90]Erickson TD. Working with Interface Metaphors, in the Art of Human-Computer Interface Design, Ed. B. Laurel, Addison-Wesley, 1990, pp.65-73.Google Scholar
- [GaVa90]Gardarin G, Valduriez P. ESQL: An Extended SQL with Objects and Deductive Capabilities, International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications, Vienna, Austria, August 1990.Google Scholar
- [GaVa92]Gardarin G, Valduriez P. ESQL2: An Object-Oriented SQL with F-logic Semantics, IEEE Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, Phoenix, 1992.Google Scholar
- [HHLR90]Hammer C., Haworth G, Leunig S, Reeve M. The European Declarative System, Database and Languages, IEEE Micro, December 1990.Google Scholar
- [Oper90]Operation 1992 — Investigation of requirements and options in the field of Advanced Informatics in Medicine: Consolidation of Results, Commission of the European Communities, XIII/F/GE0392, May 1990.Google Scholar
- [Rubi88]Rubin T. User Interface Design for Computer Systems, Ellis Horwood Ltd., Chichester, 1988.Google Scholar