Surgery for Germ Cell Tumours: Current Status in the USA
No nationwide registry exists for the treatment of testis tumours in the United States. The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2001 there will be 7200 new cases of testicular cancer and 400 deaths attributed to testis cancer . Because testis cancer is a relatively rare tumour, a few referral centers in the United States provide the bulk of surgical care for these patients. As mentioned, because no nationwide registry exists for the treatment of these patients, the material presented herein is based upon abstracts and presentations from referral centers and the experience of the authors from Indiana University.
KeywordsEurope Etoposide Teratoma Bleomycin Choriocarcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Greenlee RT, Hill-Harmon B, Murray T, Thun M. Cancer statistics, 2001. CA 2001;51:15.Google Scholar
- 12.Toner G, Panicek D, Heelan R et al. Adjunctive surgery after chemotherapy for nonseminomatous germ cell tumours: Recommendation for patient selection. J Clin Oncol 1990;8:1683.Google Scholar
- 15.Donohue JP, Leibovitch I, Foster RS, Baniel J, Tognoni P. Integration of surgery and systemic therapy: Results and principles of integration. Sem in Urol Oncol 1998; 16:65.Google Scholar
- 16.Kim R, Sexton WJ, Wood CG, Pisters LL. Repeat retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for metastatic testis cancer. American Urological Association National Meeting 2001; Abstract 628.Google Scholar
- 17.McKiernan JM, Sheinfeld J, Bacik J, Motzer RJ, Bajorin DF, Bosl GJ. Reoperative RPLND for germ cell tumour: Initial presentation, complications, and outcome. American Urological Association National Meeting 2001;Abstract 627.Google Scholar
- 18.Beck SD, Foster RS, Bihrle R et al. Post chemotherapy desperation retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for patients with elevated tumour markers. American Urological Association National Meeting 2001;Abstract 632.Google Scholar
- 19.George D, Foster R, Hromas R et al. Update on late relapse (LR) of germ cell tumours (GCT): A clinical and molecular analysis. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2001;20:Abstract 689.Google Scholar
- 20.Sheinfeld J. Late recurrence of testicular cancer. American Urological Association National Meeting 2001; Plenary Session 2, June 4,2001.Google Scholar