One way of tackling the problems of large-scale formal specification is to use a series of partial specifications. These viewpoint specifications have several advantages for the specification stage of a development, since their flexibility is highly suited to incremental specification and distributed working. However, in order to implement such a specification, we must find an amalgamation— a single specification which combines the properties of each of the viewpoint specifications. This process is related to refinement, and can be formalised in terms of a modified refinement relation, which we call co-refinement.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ainsworth, M, Cruickshank, AH, Groves, LJ, & Wallis, PJL. 1993 (18th-20th August). Formal Specification via Viewpoints. Pages 218–237 of: Hosking, J (ed), Proc. 13th New Zealand Computer Conference. New Zealand Computer Society, Auckland, New Zealand.Google Scholar
- Ainsworth, M, Cruickshank, AH, Groves, LJ, & Wallis, PJL. 1994. Viewpoint Specification and Z. Information and Software Technology, 36 (1). (To appear).Google Scholar
- Batini, C, Lenzerini, M, & Navathe, SB. 1986. A comparative analysis of methodologies for database schema integration. ACM Computing Surveys, 18(4), 323–364.Google Scholar
- Groves, LJ. 1992. Private communication.Google Scholar
- Jacob, JL. 1989. Refinement of Shared Systems. Pages 27–36 of: McDermid, J (ed), The Theory and Practice of Refinement: Approaches to the Formal Development of Large-Scale Software Systems. Butterworths.Google Scholar
- Kotonya, G, & Sommerville, I. 1992. Viewpoints for requirements definition. Software Engineering Journal,7(6), 375–387.Google Scholar
- Morgan, C. 1988. The specification statement.ACM TOPLAS, 10(3), 403–419. Reprinted in (Morgan et al., 1988). Google Scholar
- Morgan, C, Robinson, K, & Gardiner, P. 1988. On the Refinement Calculus. Technical Monograph PRG-70. Oxford University Computing Laboratory Programming Research Group.Google Scholar
- Wallis, PJL. 1992. A New Approach to Modular Formal Description. Technical Report 92–57. University of Bath.Google Scholar
- Wallis, PJL. 1993. Modular Formal Description. Submitted to Computer Journal.Google Scholar
- Ward, N. 1993. Adding specification constructors to the refinement calculus. Pages 652–670 of: Woodcock, JCP, & Larsen, PG (eds), FME’93: Industrial-Strength Formal Methods. Odense, Denmark: Springer-Verlag, for Formal Methods Europe. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 670.Google Scholar