Aggregate Operations in the Information Source Tracking Method
The Information Source Tracking method, IST, is an approach to the management of uncertain and imprecise data in database systems. In this paper we study the processing of queries involving aggregate operations in the IST method. The problems discussed include producing all possible outcomes of an aggregate query and their probabilities, and determining the probability of a specific outcome. We present algorithms for the evaluation of aggregate queries, and show that some of these problems are intractable.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S.A. Cook, The Complexity of Theorem Proving Procedures, Proc. 3rd ACM Symp.on Theory of Computing, 1971,151–158.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Doyon, Reliability of Answers to an SQL Query, Project Report, Department of Computer Science, Concordia University, May 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.F. Sadri, Modeling Uncertainty in Databases, IEEE Int. Conference on Data Engineering, May 1991, 122–131.Google Scholar
- 13.F. Sadri, Integrity Constraints in the Information Source Tracking Method, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, to appear.Google Scholar
- 14.F. Sadri, Information Source Tracking, Manuscript, September 1991. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar