Visibility Scripts for Active Feature-Based Inspection
We report the first stage of a project aimed at computing visibility scripts for active inspection applications, in which a robot-mounted sensor observes a known object from different viewpoints. Visibility scripts describe the optimal sensor position for a given inspection task and may involve different visibility requirements, e.g. achieving optimal visibility of a single object feature or simultaneous visibility of a set of features. We discuss also stereo visibility, or the optimal placement of a stereo head within the visibility region of a feature. Stereo visibility is a novel feature in the panorama of comparable systems and may prove nontrivial in some situations. Script generation is based on an approximate visibility space, the property sphere. We take into account several constraints imposed by most real systems, for instance the limited workspace of a real sensor or the desired resolution at which a feature must be observed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Sakane, M. Ishii and M. Kakikura: Occlusion Avoidance of Visual Sensors Based on a Hand-Eye Action Simulator System: HEAVEN. Advanced Robotics 2, pp. 149 -165, 1987.Google Scholar
- G. Fekete and L.S. Davis: Property Spheres: a New Representation for 3-D Object Recognition ,Proc. IEEE Workshop on Computer Vision, Representation and Control, pp. 192 -201, 1984.Google Scholar
- M.R. Korn and C.R. Dyer: 3-D Multiview Object Representations for Model-Based Object Recognition ,Pattern Recognition 20, pp. 91 -103, 1987.Google Scholar
- Z. Gigus, J. Canny and Seidel: Efficiently Computing the Aspect Graph of Polyhedral Objects ,Proc. IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, 1988, pp. 30 -39.Google Scholar
- S. Petitjean, J. Ponce and D. Kriegman: Computing Exact Aspect Graphs of Curved Objects: Algebraic Surfaces. Tech. Rep. UIUC-BI-AI-RCV-92-02, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1992.Google Scholar
- Kaiser, K. Bowyer and Goldgof: On Exploring the Definition of a Range-Image Aspect Graph ,Proc. 7th Scandinavian Conference on Image Analysis, 1991, pp. 652 -656.Google Scholar
- H.-S. Kim, R.C. Jain and R.A. Volz: Object Recognition Using Multiple Views ,Proc. IEEE Conference on Robotics and Automation, 1985, pp. 28 -33.Google Scholar
- D. Eggert and K. Bowyer: Perspective Projection Aspect Graphs of Solids of Revolution: an Implementation ,Proceedings 7th Scandinavian Conference on Image Analysis, 1991, pp. 299 -306.Google Scholar
- S. Dickinson, A. Pentland and A. Rosenfeld: From Volumes to Views: An Approach to 3-D Object Recognition ,Proc. IEEE Workshop on Advances in CAD-Based Vision, Hawaii, 1991, pp. 85 -96.Google Scholar