An Evaluation of Network Access Protocols for Distributed Real-Time Database Systems
The results of a considerable number of works addressing various features of real-time database systems (RTDBSs) have recently appeared in the literature. An issue that has not received much attention yet is the performance of the communication network configuration in a distributed RTDBS. In this paper, we examine the impact of underlying network architecture on the performance of a distributed RTDBS. In particular, we evaluate the real-time performance of distributed transactions in terms of the fraction of satisfied deadlines under various network access strategies. We also critically examine the common assumption of constant network delay for each communication message exchanged in a distributed RTDBS.
KeywordsData Item Communication Message Master Process Distribute Database System Criticalness Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Token Ring Access Method, IEEE 802.5 Local Area Network Standard, IEEE Computer Society, Silver Spring, Maryland, 1985.Google Scholar
- P.A. Bernstein, V. Hadzilacos, N. Goodman, Concurrency Control and Recovery in Database Systems, Addison-Wesley, 1987.Google Scholar
- S.R. Biyabani, J.A. Stankovic, K. Ramamritham, The Integration of Deadline and Criticalness in Hard Real-Time Scheduling, 9th Real-Time Systems Symposium, pp.152–160, 1988.Google Scholar
- J.R. Haritsa, M.J. Carey, M. Livny, Dynamic Real-Time Optimistic Concurrency Control, 11th Real-Time Systems Symposium, pp.94–103, 1990.Google Scholar
- M.T. Üzsu, Y. Niu, “Effects of Network Protocols on Distributed Concurrency Control Algorithm Performance”, 4th International Conference on Computing and Information, pp.274–279, 1992.Google Scholar
- H. Schwetman, CSIM: A C-Based, Process-Oriented Simulation Language, Winter Simulation Conference, pp.387–396, 1986.Google Scholar
- S.H. Son, C.H. Chang, Performance Evaluation of Real-Time Locking Protocols Using a Distributed Software Prototyping Environment, 10th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 124–131, 1990.Google Scholar
- O. Ulusoy, G.G. Belford, Real-Time Lock Based Concurrency Control in a Distributed Database System, 12th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp.136–143, 1992.Google Scholar
- O. Ulusoy, Concurrency Control in Real-Time Database Systems, Technical Report, UIUCDCS-R-92-1762, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1992.Google Scholar