A Code of Practice for the Development of Safe PLC Software
The DTI/SERC sponsored collaborative project1 entitled Software Engineering Methods for Safe Programmable Logic Controllers (SEMSPLC) has produced a Code of Practice for developing safe PLC application software. The Code of Practice is based on the joint experience of both the software engineering community and the PLC industry. Currently the project is applying the Code of Practice on demonstrator projects. This paper introduces the Code of Practice and examines the early results of its application.
KeywordsSoftware Development Software Development Process Configuration Management International Electrotechnical Commission Capability Maturity Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CAN 93]Canning A. Software engineering methods for industrial safety related applications, Directions in safety-critical systems: proceedings of the safety-critical systems symposium, Bristol 1993, Ed. Felix Redmill & Tom Anderson, Springer-Verlag, 1993, 96–102Google Scholar
- [CAN 94]Canning A, Moran G, Clarke S, Maisey D, Pegler S, Hedley D. Sharing ideas the SEMSPLC project, lEE review software for engineers supplement, lEE March 1994, S-23 - S-26Google Scholar
- [IEC 91]International Electrotechnical Commission. Software for computers in the application of safety related systems, IEC 65A (Secretariat) 122, Draft Standard, IEC, Geneva, 1991Google Scholar
- [IEC 92]International Electrotecimical Commission. Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic systems: generic aspects, Part 1: general requirements, IEC 65A (Secretariat) 123, Draft Standard, IEC, Geneva, 1992Google Scholar
- [MOD 91]Ministry of Defence. Interim defence standard 00–56/Issue 1 - hazard analysis and safety classification of the computer and programmable electronic systems of defence equipment, MOD, April 1991Google Scholar
- [PAU 93]Paulk M.. et al. Capability Maturity Model, version 1.1, Technical report CMU/SEI-93-TR-25, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburg, 1993Google Scholar