Evaluating the Accessibility and Usability of Blogging Platforms for Blind Users
Web-based social media have become a dynamic way of allowing the inclusive communication of many perspectives from diverse backgrounds. In a recent survey from WebAIM, blogging was noted to be the dominant form of social media according to screen reader users (WebAIM, 2010). Social media and other forms of technology can provide a platform for users with disabilities to interact and communicate on a level playing field with anyone else throughout society. It is the responsibility of application designers to follow established standards of accessibility and usability in order to provide equal access to this dynamic technology.
KeywordsUsability Testing Usability Problem Screen Reader Blind User Accessibility Evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Foundation for the Blind (2010) Is blogging accessible to people with vision loss? Available at: http://www.afb.org/Section.asp?SectionID=57&DocumentID=2753. Accessed 13 Dec 2010
- Lazar J, Beavan P, Brown J, Coffey D, Nolf B, Poole R et al (2010a) Investigating the accessibility of state government web sites in Maryland. Langdon PM, ClarksonGoogle Scholar
- Robinson P (eds) Designing inclusive interactions. Springer, London, pp 69–78Google Scholar
- Lazar J, Feng J, Adelegan O, Giller A, Hardsock A, Horney R et al (2010b) Assessing the usability of the new radio clip-based human interaction proofs. In: Poster presentation at the 6th symposium on usable privacy and security, SOUPS, Redmond, 2010Google Scholar
- Mankoff J, Fait H, Tran T (2005) Is your web page accessible? A comparative study of methods for assessing web page accessibility for the blind. In: Proceedings of the 23rd ACM conference on human factors in computing systems, Portland, pp 41–50Google Scholar
- National Federation of the Blind (2011) How many children in America are not taught to read? Available at: http://www.nfb.org/nfb/braille_initiative.asp. Accessed 5 May 2011
- Nielson J, Mack R (1994) Usability inspection methods. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Peltier J (2009) Which blogging platform do you use? Available at: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/which-blogging-platform-do-you-use/. Accessed 5 Dec 2010
- US Government (2010) Section 508 standards guide. Available at: http://www.section508.gov/ index.cfm?fuseAction=stdsdoc#Web. Accessed 5 May 2011
- WebAIM (2010) Screen reader user survey #3 results. Available at: http://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey3/. Accessed 5 Jan 2011
- Accessibility (2011) WordPress.org. Available at: http://codex.WordPress.org/Accessibility. Accessed 15 Jan 2011
- World Health Organization (2011) Visual impairment and blindness. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs282/en/. Accessed 5 May 2011