Obesity Screening Recommendations and Emerging Policies
Screening for obesity is recommended by several expert committees and organizations, such as the United States Preventive Services Task Force, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, NIH, and the Canadian Task Force. Numerous national and regional health policies have been developed to prevent obesity and promote healthy lifestyle behaviors in adults and children. Health system-sponsored programs, community gardens, and public posting of the caloric and fat content of foods in restaurants are a sample of current efforts to stem the current epidemic of obesity.
KeywordsObesity Screening Recommendations Policy Pregnancy Weight
- 1.To Win We Have to Lose,” from the 2013 Weight of the Nation, Confronting America’s Obesity Epidemic. http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/. Accessed on 16 Sep 2013.
- 4.The Practical Guide: Identification E, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov.libproxy.lib.unc.edu/guidelines/obesity/prctgd_c.pdf. Accessed on 2 July 2013.
- 6.The United States Preventive Services Task Force Home Page. www.unitedstatespreventiveservicestaskforce.org. Accessed on 24 Sep 2013.
- 7.The Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care. http://canadiantaskforce.ca/. Accessed on 24 Sep 2013.
- 8.Report on Obesity. World Health Organization Technical Report Service. 2000;894:1–253.Google Scholar
- 10.National Institutes of Health. Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults–the evidence report. Obes Res. 1998;6:515.Google Scholar
- 11.The Let’s Move Campaign. America’s Move to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids. www.letsmove.com. Accessed on 24 Sep 2013.
- 12.The National Diabetes Prevention Program. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention/. Accessed on 24 Sep 2013.
- 13.Michelle Castillo. NYC refreshes anti-sugary drink campaign with new ads. CBS News on-line. / 2013. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57587576/. Accessed on 24 Sep 2013.
- 16.The Requirements to Post Calorie Counts on Menus in NYC Food Services Establishments. Section 81.50 of the New York City Code. http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/cdp/calorie_compliance_guide.pdf.
- 17.The Kaiser Permanente of Sacramento “Walk to Thrive” Campaign. https://kpwalktothrive.org/. Accessed on 24 Sep 2013.