What is Competitive Intelligence and Why Should You Care About it?
Competitive intelligence (CI) involves the use of public sources to develop data on the competition, competitors, and the market environment as a whole. That data is then transformed through analysis into intelligence. Although CI goes by many other names, all of the varieties have one thing in common: they each share the common concept of where the data comes from and a common toolbox to help in its analysis. By whatever name, CI provides value in many ways to the firm that uses it. CI is not the same as environmental scanning, business intelligence, knowledge management, and market/quantitative research.
KeywordsKnowledge Management Technical Intelligence Business Intelligence Political Risk Potential Competitor
- Abreu PGF, de Castro JM (2010) Are we blinded by the “traditional” intelligence cycle? Competitive Intell 13(3):18–26Google Scholar
- DeRosa M (2004) Data mining and data analysis for counterterrorism. Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington MarchGoogle Scholar
- Jaworski B, Wee LC (1993) Competitive intelligence: creating value for the organization—final report on SCIP sponsored research. The Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- Korn/Ferry International and the University of Southern California’s Center for Effective Organizations at the Marshall School of Business (2000) Strategies for the knowledge economy: from rhetoric to reality. http://www-marshall.usc.edu/assets/046/9699.pdf. Accessed 22 June 2011
- McGonagle JJ, Vella CM (2002) Bottom line competitive intelligence. Quorum Books, WestportGoogle Scholar
- McKinsey & Co (2008) how companies respond to competitors: a McKinsey global survey. http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/How_companies_respond_to_competitors_2146. Accessed 11 Oct 2011
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (2002) One-third of fast-growth CEOs place higher importance on competitor information than a year ago. http://www.barometersurveys.com/vwAllNewsByDocID/03295DF410AE990A85256BA6000013AC/index.html. Accessed 11 Oct 2011