Safety Levels in a Commercial Context
Within Logica UK, a new risk assessment framework has been introduced for safety-related bids, projects and services. This framework incorporates both safety (harm) assessment and commercial risk aspects and utilizes a simple questionnaire which can be used by project and bid staff. The output is a risk score and a safety level in the range 1 to 4. The risk level then determines the assurance regime to be applied to the supply, during bidding, development or service provision. The scheme has proved successful and has been rolled out across the UK.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- IEC (2010) IEC 61508 Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safetyrelated systems. Edition 2.0. International Electrotechnical CommissionGoogle Scholar
- Logica (2010) Mandatory procedures: systems safety management. LCG032, LogicaGoogle Scholar
- Logica (2011) About Logica. http://www.logica.co.uk/we-are-logica/about-logica. Accessed August 2011
- MoD (2007) DEF STAN 00–56 Safety management requirements for defence systems. Issue 4.Ministry of DefenceGoogle Scholar
- RTCA (1992) RTCA/DO-178B Software considerations in airborne systems and equipment certificationGoogle Scholar
- Wikipedia (2011a) Safety Integrity Level. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_Integrity_Level.Accessed September 2011
- Wikipedia (2011b) Design Assurance Level. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Assurance_Level#Software_level. Accessed September 2011