In this chapter, first, the global wind power scenario is depicted followed by the market forecasting upto the year 2030. Then the current technology and the future trend of wind energy conversion system are discussed where the development of wind generator, blade designing, lightning protection, installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance of wind turbine generator unit are briefly stated. Some important issues such as variability and predictability of wind power, energy storage option and grid interfacing are discussed as well. Prime offshore wind farm technology issues in terms of feasibility study, bulk power transmission scheme are discussed in detail. Finally, the highlights of all the chapters are given from where the flavor of the book can be obtained at a glance.
KeywordsWind Turbine Wind Power Wind Farm Wind Generator Battery Energy Storage System
- 1.GWEC Publications (2010) Global wind 2010 report. The Global Wind Energy CouncilGoogle Scholar
- 2.GWEC Publications (2010) Global wind energy outlook 2010. The Global Wind Energy CouncilGoogle Scholar
- 3.AWEA Resources (2010) U.S. Wind industry year-end 2010 market report. The American Wind Energy AssociationGoogle Scholar
- 4.EWEA Resources (2010) The European offshore wind industry key trends and statistics 2010. The European Wind Energy Association (EWEA) reportGoogle Scholar
- 5.McGugan M et al. (2008) Fundamentals for remote condition monitoring of offshore wind turbines. Risø-R-1639(EN), Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Pullen A, Sawyer S, Teske S, Aubrey C (2008) Global wind energy outlook. The Global Wind Energy council and Greenpeace InternationalGoogle Scholar