Distributed Energy-Aware Routing Protocol
This paper presents an energy aware routing protocol (EARP) whose purpose is to minimise a metric that combines the total consumed power in the network and the QoS bounds requested by the incoming flows. The algorithm performs in a fully distributed manner thanks to the functionalities provided by the Cognitive Packet Network (CPN) which runs at each node of the network. Measurements on an experimental test-bed are presented showing a reduction in power consumption, as compared to a purely QoS driven approach. We also observe that the requested QoS level is also respected.
We are grateful for the support and technical motivation that has been provided by the EU FP7 Fit4Green Project.
- 2.Chabarek, J., Sommers, J., Barford, P., Estan, C., Tsiang, D., Wright, S.: Power awareness in network design and routing. In: The 27th Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM ’08). pp. 457–465. IEEE (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Chiaraviglio, L., Ciullo, D., Leonardi, E., Mellia, M.: How much can the internet be greened? In: IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM ’09) Workshops. pp. 1–6 (December 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Chiaraviglio, L., Mellia, M., Neri, F.: Reducing power consumption in backbone networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC ’09). pp. 1–6 (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Gelenbe, E.: Cognitive packet network. U.S. Patent 6,804,201, 11 Oct 2004Google Scholar
- 10.Gelenbe, E., Mahmoodi, T.: Energy-aware routing in the cognitive packet network. In: International Conference on Smart Grids, Green Communications, and IT Energy-Aware Technologies (Energy ’11) (May 2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Gelenbe, E., Silvestri, S.: Reducing power consumption in wired networks. In: The 24th International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences (ISCIS ’09). pp. 292–297. IEEE (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Lent, R.: Simulating the power consumption of computer networks. In: The 15th IEEE International Workshop on Computer Aided Modeling, Analysis and Design of Communication Links and Networks (CAMAD ’10). pp. 96–100 (December 2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Nedevschi, S., Popa, L., Iannaccone, G., Ratnasamy, S., Wetherall, D.: Reducing network energy consumption via sleeping and rate-adaptation. In: The 5th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI ’08). pp. 323–336 (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Panarello, C., Lombardo, A., Schembra, G., Chiaraviglio, L., Mellia, M.: Energy saving and network performance: a trade-off approach. In: The 1st International Conference on Energy-Efficient Computing and Networking (e-Energy ’10). pp. 41–50. ACM (April 2010)Google Scholar