Sensor arrays and Self-Organizing Maps for Odour Analysis in Artificial Olfactory Systems
Our studies have regarded bio-inspired adaptive artificial olfactory systems composed of a sensor array for gas sensing and an artificial neural network, Self-Organizing Topology Preserving Map (SOM), introduced by T. Kohonen (Kohonen, 1989). In order to state the main working principles, Fig. I shows an overview of the digital version of a system for odour classification. The information flows from the left-hand side to the right-hand side: the gas mixtures in the environment determine the m sensor outputs which are sampled and converted into the digital stream z at each clock time. The module implementing the SOM network accepts a sequence of samples by a delay line, classifies the pattern according to its internal class models, and provides a class label as output (Davide et al.,1992 I,II,III).
KeywordsSensor Array Sensor Output Single Instruction Multiple Data Odour Recognition Odour Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davide, F., Di Natale, C., and D’Amico, A., Pattern Recognition Techniques in Gas Sensing, invited at 1st Int. Workshop on New Develop. in Gas Sensors, Castro Marina, Italy, Sept. 13–14, 1993.Google Scholar
- Davide, F., Di Natale, C., and D’Amico, A., Sensor Arrays and Neural Networks in Multicomponent Gas Analysis, to be published on Sensors and Actuators B.Google Scholar
- Davide, F., Di Natale, C., and D’Amico, A., Self-Organizing Sensory Maps for Odour Classification Mimicking, invited at 2nd CEC Worksh. on Bioelect., Frankfurt, Germany, Nov. 23–25,1993.Google Scholar
- Kasslin, M., Kangas, J., and Simula, O., Proc. ICANN 92: Artificial Neural Networks 2, Amsterdam. North Holland (1992) 1531–1534.Google Scholar
- Kohonen, T., Self-organization and Associative Memory, 3rd eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1989.Google Scholar
- Moore, S.W., et a1., Sensors and Actuators B, 3 (1992) 37–38.Google Scholar
- Ritter, H., Martinetz, T., and Schulten, K., Neural Computation and Self-Organizing Maps, Reading, Addison Wesley Publishing Company Inc., 1992.Google Scholar
- Vahinger, S. and Göpel, W., in Chemical and Biochemical sensors part I, eds. W. Göpel, T.A. Jones, M. Kleitz, J. Lundström and T. Seiyama, VCH (1991) 191–237.Google Scholar