We describe a method for segmenting retinal images using positions of blood vessels supplying the retina. The image is tessellated into irregularly shaped primary regions which are bounded by vessels, chains of microaneurysms, edges, etc. Boundaries are classified into groups using a trained set of grey level models. We define a process of merging primary regions into large patches using image properties such as texture and intensity, and semantic interpretations of boundaries and their measured properties. The method which makes extensive use of morphological processing depends on a limited number of parameters which have natural physical interpretations.
KeywordsGrey Level Retinal Image Image Property Primary Region Adjacency Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Tanaka M., Tanaka K.: An Automatic Technique for Fundus Photograph Mosaic and Vascular Net Reconstruction. Proc. of MEDINFO 80, Tokyo, pp.116-120.Google Scholar
- Jagoe R., Wootton R.: Quantification of Retinal Damage During Cardiopulmonary Bypass: Comparison of Computer and Human Assessment. IEE Proc., vol. 137, pt. I, no. 3, June, 1990, pp. 170–175.Google Scholar
- Katz N., Goldbaum M., Nelson M., Chaudri S.: An Image Processing System for Automatic Retina Diagnosis. Proc. of SPTE vol. 902, 1988, pp.131–137.Google Scholar
- Akita K., Kuga H.: Pattern Recognition of Blood Vessel Networks in Ocular Fundus Images. Proc. SPIE vol. 375, 1982 pp. 436–441.Google Scholar
- Lay J., Badouin B.: Computer Analysis of Angioflourograms. Proc. of VII Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, 1984, pp.927-929.Google Scholar
- Goldberg E.G., Varma S., Spaeth S.: Quantification of Progressive Diabetic Macular Non-perfusion. Ophthalmic Surgery, vol. 20, no. 1, 1989, pp. 42–45.Google Scholar
- Jasiobedzki P., Macleod D., Taylor C.J.: Detection of Non-perfused Zones in Retinal Images. IV IEEE Symposium on Computer Based Medical Systems, Baltimore, May, 1991, pp. 162-169.Google Scholar
- Pavlidis T: Structural Pattern Recognition. Springer Verlag, 1979.Google Scholar
- Serra J.: Image Analysis and Mathematical Morphology. Academic Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- Mandelbrot B.: The Fractal Geometry of Nature. Freeman, 1982.Google Scholar