Summing Up: Platelet Heterogeneity: Biology and Pathology
The key question of the chapters in this book focused on the source of platelet heterogeneity. The debate could be considered to be between those who believe that the production of platelets from megakaryocytes is the primary determinant of heterogeneity and those who believe that exposure of platelets to stimuli during their circulation in the blood contributes to platelet heterogeneity.
KeywordsPlatelet Volume Rabbit Platelet Large Platelet Platelet Size Platelet Survival
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Martin JF, Francis P, Lee L, Shaw T, Macpherson J, Penington DG (1981) Differences in the volume of stress platelets and vincristine stimulated platelets. Thromb Haemost 46:410Google Scholar
- Packham MA, Mustard JF (1984) Normal and abnormal platelet activity. In: Lasslo A (ed) Blood platelet function and medicinal chemistry. Elsevier Biomedical, New York, pp 61–128Google Scholar
- Rand ML (1983) Studies of changes in rabbit platelets as they age in vivo. PhD thesis, University of Toronto, Toronto, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- Somers DA (1984) The relationship among vessel injury, thrombus formation and platelet survival. PhD thesis, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- Warren CW (1988) Thrombopoiesis: the effects of platelet depletion. Eur J Clin Invest 18:A55Google Scholar
- Winocour PD, Rand ML, Kinlough-Rathbone RL, Mustard JF (1986) Hypersensitivity to thrombin of platelets from hypercholesterolemic rats. Fed Proc 45:224Google Scholar