Reoperations for Thoracic and Thoracoabdominal Aneurysms
Reoperation upon the thoracic and thoracoabdominal aorta deserves special consideration for two reasons: (1) because such procedures are often more difficult and can be associated with a higher morbidity and mortality, since the patients are often older with more advanced disease; and (2) because the techniques required to obtain exposure, control circulation and reconstruct often distorted anatomy are complex and technically challenging. Importantly, a clear understanding of the pathology and natural course involved in the development of conditions requiring reoperation is essential for planning surgical therapy. A critical analysis of primary operative procedures provides the opportunity to avert many secondary ones.
KeywordsCatheter Ischemia Albumin Steam Heparin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bickerstaff LK, Pairolero PC, Hollier LH et al. (1983) Thoracic aortic aneurysms: an epidemiologic study. Surgery 92: 1103–1108Google Scholar
- Cooley DA, Livesay JJ (1981) Technique of “open” distal anastomosis for ascending and transverse arch resection. Cardiovasc Dis (Bull Tex Heart Inst) 8: 421–426Google Scholar
- Crafoord C, Nylin G (1945) Congenital coarctation of the aorta and its surgical treatment. J Thorac Surg 14: 347–361Google Scholar
- Crawford ES, Crawford JS (1984) Diseases of the aorta including an atlas of angiographic pathology and surgical technique. Williams & Wilkins, BaltimoreGoogle Scholar
- Hehrlein FW, Mulch J, Rautenburg HW, Schlepper M, Scheid HH (1986) Incidence and pathogenesis of late aneurysms after patch graft aortoplasty for coarctation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 92: 222–230Google Scholar
- Kouchoukos NT, Marshall WG Jr, Wedige-Stecher TA (1986) Eleven year• éxperience with composite graft replacement of the ascending aorta and aortic valve. J Thorac CardiovascGoogle Scholar
- Surg 92: 691–705Google Scholar
- Pressler VM, McNamara JJ (1980) Thoracic aortic aneurysm: natural history and treatment. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 489–498Google Scholar
- Pressler VM, McNamara JJ (1985) Aneurysms of the thoracic aorta: review of 260 cases. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 98: 50–54Google Scholar