This chapter is largely devoted to hepatitis B virus infection, because of its high prevalence amongst homosexual men and the morbidity and mortality associated with the chronic carrier state, which develops in approximately 5% of those infected. There are three other main categories of viral hepatitis (Table 5.1).
KeywordsPlacebo Fatigue Neuropathy Interferon Prednisone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chalmers TC, Eckhardt RD, Reynolds WE et al. (1955) The treatment of acute infectious hepatitis. Controlled studies on the effects of diet, rest and physical reconditioning on the acute course of the disease and on the incidence of relapses and residual abnormalities. J Clin Invest 34:1163–1235PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Christenson B, Brostrom CH, Bottiger M et al. (1982) An epidemic outbreak of hepatitis A among homosexual men in Stockholm. Hepatitis A, a special hazard for the male homosexual subpopulation in Sweden. J Epidemiol 116:599–607Google Scholar
- Eddieston ALWF, Mandelli M, Mieli-Vergani G, Williams R (1982) Lymphocyte cytotoxicity to autologous hepatocytes in chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Hepatology 2:122S–127SGoogle Scholar
- Hoofnagle JH (1980) Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) and antibody (anti-HBs). In: Bianchi L, Gerok W, Sickinger K, Stalder GA (eds) Virus and the liver. MTP Press Limited, pp 27–37Google Scholar
- Hoofnagle J (1986) Clinical trials of the interferons. J Hepatol 3 (suppl 2): S253–S258Google Scholar
- MRC and PHLS (Medical Research Council and Public Health Laboratory Service) (1980) The incidence of hepatitis B infection after accidental exposure and anti-HBs immunoglobulin prophylaxis. Lancet i: 6–8Google Scholar
- Perillo RP, Gelb L, Campbell C et al. (1979) Hepatitis BeAg, DNA polymerase activity and infection of household contacts with hepatitis B virus. Gastroenterology 76:1319–1325Google Scholar
- Perillo R, Regenstein F, Bodicky C et al. (1985) Comparative efficacy of adenine arabinoside 5’-monophosphate and prednisone withdrawal followed by adenine arabinoside 5’-monophosphate in the treatment of chronic active hepatitis B. Gastroenterology 88:780–786Google Scholar
- Perillo RP, Regenstein FG, Roodman ST (1986) Chronic hepatitis B in asymptomatic homosexual men with antibody to the human immunodeficiency virus. Ann Intern Med 105:382–383Google Scholar
- Rizzetto M, Verme G (1985) Delta hepatitis-present status. J Hepatol 1:187–193 Rizzetto M, Rosina F, Saracco G et al. (1986) Treatment of chronic delta hepatitis with alpha-2 recombinant interferon. J Hepatol 3 (suppl 2): S229–S233Google Scholar
- Summers J, Mason WS (1982) Properties of the hepatitis B like viruses related to their taxonomic classification. Hepatology 2: 61S–66SGoogle Scholar
- Trepo C, Hartz O, Ouzan D (1984) Therapeutic efficacy of ARA-AMP in symptomatic HBeAg positive CAH: a randomised placebo controlled study. Hepatology 4:1055Google Scholar
- Viola LA, Barrison IG, Coleman JC, Paradinas FJ, Fluker JL, Murray-Lyon IM (1981) Natural history of liver disease in chronic hepatitis B surface antigen carriers survey of 100 patients from Great Britain. Lancet ii: 1156–1159Google Scholar