Neural Virtual Sensors — Estimation of Combustion Quality in SI Engines using the Spark Plug
We propose two virtual sensors which estimate the location of the pressure peak and the air-fuel ratio from measurements of the ionization current across the spark plug gap.
The location of pressure peak virtual sensor produces estimates on a cycle-by-cycle basis for each of the cylinders. These estimates are twice as good as estimates obtained from a linear model.
The air-fuel ratio virtual sensor uses the universal exhaust gas oxygen sensor as reference; it produces estimates that are ten times better than estimates obtained from a linear model.
KeywordsIonization Current Virtual Sensor Ionization Sensor Combustion Cycle Internal Combustion Engine Fundamental
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Bush, N. Adams, S. Dua, and C. Markyvech. Automatic Control of Cylinder by Cylinder Air-Fuel Mixture Using a Proportional Exhaust Gas Sensor. (SAE paper 940149), 1994.Google Scholar
- J. Heywood Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. McGraw-Hill series in mechanical engineering. McGraw-Hill, 1988.Google Scholar
- L. Eriksson, L. Nielsen, and J. Nytomt. Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation. (SAE paper 960045), 1996.Google Scholar
- L. Eriksson, L. Nielsen, and M. Glavenius. Closed Loop Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation. (SAE paper 970854), 1997.Google Scholar
- J. Auzins, H. Johansson, and J. Nytomt. Ion-Gap Sense in Misfire Detection, Knock and Engine Control. (SAE paper 950004), 1995.Google Scholar
- A. Saitzkoff, R. Reinmann, T. Berglind, and M. Glavmo. An ionization equilibrium analysis of the spark plug as an ionization sensor. (SAE paper 960337), 1996.Google Scholar
- R. Reinmann, A. Saitzkoff, and F. Mauss. Local Air-Fuel Ratio Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor. (SAE paper 970856), 1997.Google Scholar
- A. Saitzkoff, R. Reinmann, F. Mauss, and M. Glavmo. In-Cylinder Pressure Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor. (SAE paper 970857), 1997.Google Scholar
- M. Riedmiller, and H. Braun. A Direct Adaptive Method for Faster Backpropagation Learning: The RPROP Algorithm. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, San Francisco, CA, March 28-April 1, 1993.Google Scholar