Towards Precision Robotic Maneuvering, Survey, and Manipulation in Unstructured Undersea Environments
This paper reports recent advances in the precision control of underwater robotic vehicles for survey and manipulation missions. A new underwater vehicle navigation and control system employing a new commercially available 1,200 kHz doppler sonar is reported. Comparative experimental trials compare the performance of the new system to conventional 12 kHz and 300 kHz long baseline (LBL) acoustic navigation systems. The results demonstrate a hybrid system incorporating both doppler and LBL to provide superior tracking in comparison to doppler or LBL alone.
KeywordsGlobal Position System Navigation System Tracking Performance Underwater Vehicle Vehicle Position
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. M. Bell, B. M. Howe, J. A. Mercer, and R. C. Spindel. Nonlinear kalman filtering of long-baseline, short-baseline, gps, and depth measurements. In Conference Record of the Twenty-Fifth Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, pages 131–136, Pacific Grove, CA, USA, November 1991.Google Scholar
- J. G. Bellingham, M. Deffenbaugh, J. Leonard, and J. Catipovic. Arctic underice survey operations. Unmanned Systems, 12(1):24–29, 1994.Google Scholar
- J. A. Catipovic and L. E. Freitag. High data rate acoustic telemetry for moving rovs in a fading multipath shallow water environment. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Technology. AUV ‘90, pages 296–303, 1990.Google Scholar
- S. K. Choi and J. Yuh. Experimental study on a lerning control system with bound estimation for underwater robots. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robt. Aut., pages 2160–2165, April 1996.Google Scholar
- T. I. Fossen. Guidance and Control of Ocean Vehicles. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- P. H. Milne. Underwater Acoustic Positioning Systems. Spon Ltd., New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- H. Singh, J. Catipovic, R. Eastwood, L. Freitag, H. Henricksen, F. Hover, D. Yoerger, J. Bellingham, and B. Moran. An integrated approach to multiple auv communications, navigation and docking. In Proceedings of the OCEANS 96 MTS/IEEE Conference, pages 59–64, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA, September 1996.Google Scholar
- L. L. Whitcomb and D. R. Yoerger. Preliminary experiments in the model-based dynamic control of marine thrusters. In Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1996. (Invited paper).Google Scholar
- D. R. Yoerger and D. A. Mindell. Precise navigation and control of an rov at 2200 meters depth. In Proceedings of Intervention/ROV 92, San Diego, June 1992. MTS.Google Scholar
- D. R. Yoerger and J. E. Slotine. Adaptive sliding control of an experimental underwater vehicle. In Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robt. Aut., Sacremento, CA, USA, April 1991.Google Scholar