Word Recognition by MLP-based Character Spotting and Dynamic Programming
This paper describes a method for handprinted word recognition, with the following characteristics: traditional pre-processing (relevant to single characters, obtained by word segmentation) is replaced by pre-processing based on piecewise normalization applied at whole words; feature extraction and character classification by MLP are performed in a sliding window fashion; the output string is matched with an ASCII word vocabulary by Dynamic Programming with the Levenshtein distance; a list of word candidates is issued. Afterwards, when the language is formally known, an appropriate parser can be applied to full Sentence Recognition. Tests on a medium size vocabulary show extremely promising results.
KeywordsWord Recognition Neural Information Processing System Word Segmentation Word Image Levenshtein Distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Matan CJ., Burges C., Le Cun Y. and Denker JS. Multi-digit recognition using a space displacement neural network. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 4, pp. 488–495, 1991Google Scholar
- Martin G. and Rashid M. Recognizing overlapping hand-printed characters by centered-object integrated segmentation and recognition. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 4, pp. 504–511, 1991Google Scholar
- Keeler J. and Rumelhart DE. A self-organizing integrated segmentation and recog¬nition neural net. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 4, pp. 496–503, 1991Google Scholar
- Hertz J., Krogh A. and Palmer RG. An Introduction to Neural Computation. Addison-Wesley, 1991Google Scholar
- Colla AM. and Pedrazzi P. Single and Coupled Neural Handprinted Character Classifiers. In: M. Marinaro and P.G. Morasso (Eds), ICANN 94 - Proc. of the Int. Conf. on ARTIFICIAL NEURAL NETWORKS. Sorrento (Italy), vol. II, pp. 969–972, Springer-Verlag, 1994Google Scholar
- Cepollina E. Metodi avanzati per il riconoscimento del manoscritto. Tesi di Laurea in Scienza dell’Inform azione (M. Sci. Thesis in Computer Science ). DISI Univ. di Genova, 1996Google Scholar
- Pedrazzi P. and Colla AM. Simple Feature Extraction For Handwritten Character Recognition. In: Proc. IEEE 1995 Int. Conference on Image Processing ICIP-95. Washington, vol. Ill, pp. 320–323, 1995Google Scholar
- Sakoe H. and Chiba S. Dynamic Programming algorithm Optimization for Spo¬ken Word Recognition. IEEE Trans. ASSP-26, 1, pp. 43–49, 1978Google Scholar