The history of diagnostic cytology has been reviewed by Bamforth and Osborn (1958) and Spriggs (1977) and is summarised in Chap. 1. Because cytology made fewer demands on technology, it was established earlier than solid tissue biopsies as a diagnostic method. Pioneered by Bennett and his contemporaries in the mid-19th Century, cytology then faded into the background in the closing decades of the Century as solid tissue biopsies and tissue processing techniques were developed; interest in cytology abated in the face of the apparently greater diagnostic yield and precision of the biopsy. The relative neglect of cytology was reversed dramatically by Papanicolaou’s seminal observations in the 1920s on cells exfoliated from carcinoma of the cervix; this marked the renaissance of diagnostic cytology which continues to the present day.
KeywordsMesothelial Cell Aspiration Biopsy Fibrin Clot Cervical Cytology Cytological Preparation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- De Girolami E (1977a) Applications of plasma-thrombin cell block in diagnostic cytology. I. Female genital and urinary tracts. Pathol Annu [Part 1]: 251–275Google Scholar
- De Girolami E (1977b) Applications of plasma-thrombin cell block in diagnostic cytology. II. Digestive and respiratory tracts, breast and effusions. Pathol Annu [Part 2]: 91 – 110Google Scholar
- Frable WJ (1983b) Thin-needle aspiration biopsy. In: Bennington JL (ed) Major problems in pathology. Saunders, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Kaufman R, Koss LG, Kurman et al (1983) Statement of caution in the interpretation of papillomavirusassociated lesions of the epithelium of the uterine cervix. Acta Cytol 27: 107–108Google Scholar
- Kline TS (1981) Handbook offine needle aspiration biopsy cytology. Mosby, St Louis Toronto LondonGoogle Scholar
- Koss LG, Woyke S, Olszewski W (1984) Aspiration biopsy: cytologic interpretation and histologic bases. Igaku-Shoin, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Melcher D, Linehan J, Smith R (1984) Practical aspiration cytology. Churchill Livingstone, EdinburghGoogle Scholar
- Paul J (1970) Cell and tissue culture, 4th edn. Livingstone, Edinburgh LondonGoogle Scholar
- Red DE (1981) Imaging modalities for biopsy assistance. In: Kline TS (ed) Handbook of fine needle aspiration biopsy cytology. Mosby, St Louis Toronto London, p 8Google Scholar