Developing Dependable Software Using Prototyping and Test-Diversity
Software diversity has been used in many safety-related applications such as flight, nuclear power and railway applications. It has been an important area of research in the recent past too. The benefits and disadvantages of the software diversity are known and have been considered in many publications. But how can we gain the benefits of software diversity, if we want to eliminate the disadvantages of it? In this paper we present a new method of software development and testing, which uses the advantages of software diversity and eliminates the disadvantages of it. This approach can be used to achieve the needed software dependability in safety-related computer systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Laprie J.C. Dependability of Computing Systems: Concepts and Terminology, Proc. 25th IEEE International Symposiom on Fault-Tolerant Computing, Pasadena, CA, USA June 27–30 1995Google Scholar
- 2.Voges U. Software Diversity in Computerized Control Systems ISBN 3–211–82014–0 1988 Springer-Verlag Wien-New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Lyu M. R. Software Fault Tolerance, ISBN 0–471–95068–8 1995 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.Google Scholar
- 4.Lyu M. R., Avizienis A., Assuring Design Diversity in N-Version Software: A Design Paradigm for N-Version Programming, Dependable Computing for Critical Applications 2, pp. 197–218, ISBN 3–211–82330–1 Springer-Verlag Wien-New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 5.Schoitsch E., The Interaction Between Practical Experience, Standardization and the Application of Standards, SAFECOMP ’89, Proceedings of the IFAC/IFIP Workshop, Vienna, Austria, 5–7 December 1989Google Scholar
- 6.Ehrenberger W., Saglietti F., Architecture and Safety Qualification of Large Software Systems, ESREL ’93, Proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference, Munich, Germany, May 10–12 1993Google Scholar
- 7.Lantz K., The Prototyping Methodology, Prentice-Hall 1986Google Scholar
- 8.Schoitsch E., Kuhn W., Herzner W., Thuswald M. Experiences in Design and Development of a highly Dependable and Scaleable Distributed Security, Alarm and Control System, SAFECOMP 91, Proceedings of the IFAC/IFIP/EWICS/SRE Symposium, Trondheim, Norway, 30 Oct.–1 Nov. 1991Google Scholar
- 9.DEC Rdb SQL Reference Manual, February 1994Google Scholar
- 10.DEC Rdb RDML Reference Manual, December 1990Google Scholar