Mobility and Resource Management for S-PCN and Integration with Terrestrial Mobile Networks
This paper reviews the mobility and resource management techniques used in terrestrial mobile systems such as GSM and discusses their inefficiency if directly applied to Non-Geostationary Satellite PCN (S-PCN) For these, an alternative and novel mobility management technique is presented and fully evaluated for two representative LEO and MEO constellations such as the Globalstar and ICO-10 respectively. The technique is based on dynamic location area concept and is efficient in terms of required radio, power, and network resources for paging, location update and call routing to mobile users in S-PCN. The paper then presents two possible network integration architectures between GSM and S-PCN and the impacts of this new mobility management technique on the integrated network architectures are identified and solutions proposed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [MOU92]M.Mouly, et al. “The GSM System for mobile communications”, ISBN:2–9507190–0–7.Google Scholar
- [DIE97]F.Dietrich, et al. “The Globalstar Satellite Cellular Communication System Design and Status”, International Mobile Satellite Conference, Pasadena 1997.Google Scholar
- [ARM96]P.Armbruster, et al. “The IRIDIUM Network for global personal communications”, Telecommunications Review Vol 6, No. 6 1996, pp 674–685.Google Scholar
- R. Finean, “Satellite UMTS network architecture”, Fifth International Conference on “Satellite Systems for Mobile Communications and Navigation”, pp. 151–155, May 1996, London UK. [CUL95] [CUL95] C.Cullen, “Network and Signalling Aspects of Satellite Personal Communication Networks”, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Surrey, 1995.Google Scholar
- [GUN96]A.Guntsch, “Mobility Management in an integrated GSM and Satellite PCN”, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference 1996.Google Scholar
- [ZHA95]W.Zhao, R.Tafazolli, B.G.Evans., “A UT positioning approach for dynamic satellite constellations”, Proceedings of the fourth International Mobile Satellite Conference, Ottawa, Canada, June 1995, pp35–41.Google Scholar
- [TAB95]S.Tabbane, 1995, “An Alternative Strategy for Location Tracking” IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 13, No. 5, June 1995.Google Scholar
- [ZHA96]W.Zhao, R.Tafazolli, B.G.Evans, “Inter-network signalling load analysis for GSM-satellite integratio”, Second European Workshop on Mobile/Personal Satcoms (EMPS’96), Oct 9–11, 1996, Rome, Italy.Google Scholar