Beyond Object-Oriented Paradigm — A Document-Oriented Development Paradigm for XML-based Information Navigation System
XML is gradually influencing every aspect of the software and IT industry. More and more XML-based applications are being developed. The object-oriented paradigm cannot fit in with this new challenging environment. The document-oriented paradigm is probably the suitable one that can address the new challenges. In this paper we will deal with the document-oriented paradigm for the development of an online XML based information navigation system. We will also discuss its basic elements, the classification of the documents, the relationship among the document and the corresponding design issues. Finally we will compare it with the object-oriented one and the possible use of OO-methodology in the document-oriented paradigm.
KeywordsActive Document Schema Document Navigation Path Presentation Element Instance Document
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Norman R. J. Object-oriented systems analysis and design. Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1996Google Scholar
- Hu Z. OOIS 2000 6th International Conference on Object Oriented Information Systems. 18–20 December 2000, London, UK, Processings, Page 456 – 467.Google Scholar
- Hu Z. Towards XML Metamodel Patterns for XML Data Modeling. To be published on WEBH 2001 on 12 th International Conference on Data and Expert System, Sep. 3 – 7, 2001.Google Scholar
- Heslop B. D., Holzgang D. A. HTML Publishing on the Internet, Second Edition. Ventana Communications Group, Inc., 1998.Google Scholar
- Rosenfeld L., Morville P. Information Architecture for the World Wide Web. O’ Reilly. 1998.Google Scholar
- Anderson P., Blexrud C., Chiareli A.; Denault D., Homer A., Esposito D., Francis B., Gibbs M., Kropog B., Mcqueen C., Reilly G., Robinson S., Schenken J., Sonderegger D., Sussman D. Professional Active Server Page 3.0. Wrox Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- Behme H. XML in der Praxis. Addison Wesley Longman Inc.Google Scholar
- Laurent S. S. XML Elements of Style. Mcgraw-Hill, 2000.Google Scholar
- Clark J. XSL Transformation (XSLT) version 1.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html. 1999Google Scholar
- Eliens A. Princples of Object-Oriented Software Development. Addison Wesley. 1995.Google Scholar