Proximal Femoral Fractures: the Pertrochanteric Fixator
While it has now been demonstrated convincingly that mortality rates following trochanteric fractures of the femur can be dramatically reduced when surgical, as opposed to conservative treatment is employed, (Kennedy et al 1957; Evans 1949; Riska 1970; Dahl 1980), recent attention has tended to focus mainly on internal methods of fracture stabilization such as the sliding hip screw, or an intramedullary device such as the Gamma nail. While both of these techniques produce acceptable results, a number of problems associated with their use have been reported in the literature (Wolfgang, Bryant and O’Neill 1982; Nunn 1988; Simpson, Varty and Dodd 1989, Davis et al 1990, Bridle et al 1991; Haider 1992; Mahaisavariya and Laupattarakasem 1992; Fornander et al 1994).
KeywordsObesity Cane Swivel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bridle SH, Patel AD, Bircher M, Calvert PT. ‘Fixation of intertrochanteric fractures of the femur’.J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1991; 73-B: 330–4Google Scholar
- Davis TRC, Sher JL, Horsman A et al. ‘Intertrochanteric femoral fractures: mechanical failure after internal fixation’. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1990; 72-B: 26–31.Google Scholar
- Dhal A, Varghese M, Bhasin VB. ‘External fixation of intertrochanteric fractures of the femur’.; J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1991; 73-B: 955–8.Google Scholar
- Evans EM.; ‘The treatment of trochanteric fractures of the femur’. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1949; 31-B: 190–203.Google Scholar
- Fornander P, Thorngren K-G, Tornqvist H, et al. ‘Swedish experience with the Gamma nail versus sliding hip screw in 209 randomised cases’. Int J Orthop Trauma 1994; 4: 118–22.Google Scholar
- Halder SC. ‘The Gamma nail for peritrochanteric fractures’.J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1992; 74-B: 340–4.Google Scholar
- Kennedy JC, McFarlane RM, McLachlin AD. ‘The moe plate in intertrochanteric fractures of the femur’.J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1957;39-B: 451–7.Google Scholar