Pin Track Infection and the Principles of Pin Site Care
There are many complications of external fixation but by far the most common and most troublesome is pin track infection.1,4,7,10,11 It is inevitable that where a pin or screw penetrates into a limb and remains in this position for some considerable time, some degree of pin track infection will occur unless extreme care is taken to prevent it. For this reason there has hitherto been a reluctance to use external fixation where alternative methods of internal fixation are available.
KeywordsExternal Fixation Tibial Fracture Major Infection Senior Nurse External Fixation System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.De Bastiani G, Aldgheri R, Renzi-Brivio L. ‘The treatment of fractures with a dynamic axial joint fixator’ J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1984; 66B: 538–545.Google Scholar
- 3.Burny FL .‘ Elastic Fixation of Tibial Fractures: a study of 1421 cases.’ in: Brooker AF, Edwards CC. (eds) External Fixation: the Current State of the Art 1979Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore.Google Scholar
- 5.Checketts RG, Otterburn M, MacEachern AG. ‘Pin Track Infection: definition, incidence and prevention.’ Suppl. Int J Orth Trauma 1993; 3 (3): 16–18.Google Scholar
- 7.Edge AJ, Denham RA. ‘External Fixation For Complicated Tibial Fractures.’ J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1981; 63B: 92–97.Google Scholar
- 8.Edwards CC. ‘Management of the polytrauma patient in a major US centre.’ in Brooker AF, Edwards CC, (eds) External fixation: the current state of the art. 1979 Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore Google Scholar
- 9.Green SA. Complications of External Fixation. Causes, prevention and treatment 1981 (Thomas, Springfield: Illinois).Google Scholar
- 11.MacEachern AG. ‘External Fixation: past, present and future.’ in Bunker TD, Colton CL, Webb JK. (eds) Frontiers in Fracture Management 1989 Martin Dunitz: London.Google Scholar
- 12.Noordeen MHH, Lavy CBD, Shergill NS, Tuite JD, Jackson AM. ‘Cyclical Micromovement and Fracture Healing.’ J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 1995; 77: 645–648.Google Scholar