Usability of Portable Devices: The Case of WAP
Imagine stepping out of an office building on the way to the airport and using your WAP-enabled, wireless device to check the traffic report. Finding congestion, you locate the train timetable and choose to purchase a train ticket on-line instead of driving. On the way to the airport, you select your aisle seat, check in for the flight, and reserve a special meal. Finally, you unpack your raincoat after looking up the weather at your destination (WAP Forum, 1999).
KeywordsMobile Phone Switching Cost Portable Device Content Provider Small Screen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bond K (2000) A new market model on trial.M-Commerce World, November, 2000.Google Scholar
- BT Cellnet (2001) New figures show mobile information and services are becoming a winner with con¬sumers. Press release, January 15, 2001,http://www.btcellnet.co.uk
- Daly-Jones and Carey (2000) Navigating your TV: The usability of electronic programme guides.Proceedings of CHI’2000, extended abstracts, The Hague, Netherlands, ACM Press.Google Scholar
- Ericsson Radio Systems (1999)Welcome to the third generation, http://www.ericsson.com/Google Scholar
- Homer S (2000) A new dawn: is the new 3G system a mobile phone revolution, or is it just the Emperor’s new technology?The Independent, November 19, 2000.Google Scholar
- Logica (2000)The Mobile Internet Challenge. Logica white paper (un-numbered).Google Scholar
- Nielsen J (1998) Cost of user testing a website. Alertbox usability column, http://www.useit.com/alert- box/980503.html.Google Scholar
- Nielsen J (1999) Graceful degradation of scalable Internet services.Alertbox usability column, http://www.useit.com/alertbox/99103 l.html.Google Scholar
- Nielsen J (2000) WAP: miserable failure? Interview with Jacob Nielsen by Fred Johnson & Lorna Ho.Yahoo! Vision,http://vision.yahoo.com/search?sp=nielsen.
- Nielsen J and Norman D (2000) Usability on the web isn’t a luxury.Information Week, http://www.mfor- mationweek.com/773/web.htm.Google Scholar
- Ramsay M and Nielsen J (2000) WAP Usability Deja vu: 1994 All Over Again.External usability report, Nielsen Norman Group,http://www.nngroup.com/reports/wap/
- Svanteson S (2000)Particular challenges in designing for “baby faces”. Masters thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- WAP Forum (1999) What is WAP and WAP Forum?FAQ page, http://www.wapforum.org/faqs/ index.htm.Google Scholar