Usability of Portable Devices: The Case of WAP
Imagine stepping out of an office building on the way to the airport and using your WAP-enabled, wireless device to check the traffic report. Finding congestion, you locate the train timetable and choose to purchase a train ticket on-line instead of driving. On the way to the airport, you select your aisle seat, check in for the flight, and reserve a special meal. Finally, you unpack your raincoat after looking up the weather at your destination (WAP Forum, 1999).
KeywordsEurope Marketing Expense Dial Metaphor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bond K (2000) A new market model on trial.M-Commerce World, November, 2000.Google Scholar
- BT Cellnet (2001) New figures show mobile information and services are becoming a winner with con¬sumers. Press release, January 15, 2001,http://www.btcellnet.co.uk
- Daly-Jones and Carey (2000) Navigating your TV: The usability of electronic programme guides.Proceedings of CHI’2000, extended abstracts, The Hague, Netherlands, ACM Press.Google Scholar
- Ericsson Radio Systems (1999)Welcome to the third generation, http://www.ericsson.com/Google Scholar
- Homer S (2000) A new dawn: is the new 3G system a mobile phone revolution, or is it just the Emperor’s new technology?The Independent, November 19, 2000.Google Scholar
- Logica (2000)The Mobile Internet Challenge. Logica white paper (un-numbered).Google Scholar
- Nielsen J (1998) Cost of user testing a website. Alertbox usability column, http://www.useit.com/alert- box/980503.html.Google Scholar
- Nielsen J (1999) Graceful degradation of scalable Internet services.Alertbox usability column, http://www.useit.com/alertbox/99103 l.html.Google Scholar
- Nielsen J (2000) WAP: miserable failure? Interview with Jacob Nielsen by Fred Johnson & Lorna Ho.Yahoo! Vision,http://vision.yahoo.com/search?sp=nielsen.
- Nielsen J and Norman D (2000) Usability on the web isn’t a luxury.Information Week, http://www.mfor- mationweek.com/773/web.htm.Google Scholar
- Ramsay M and Nielsen J (2000) WAP Usability Deja vu: 1994 All Over Again.External usability report, Nielsen Norman Group,http://www.nngroup.com/reports/wap/
- Svanteson S (2000)Particular challenges in designing for “baby faces”. Masters thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- WAP Forum (1999) What is WAP and WAP Forum?FAQ page, http://www.wapforum.org/faqs/ index.htm.Google Scholar