Laser Assisted Jet Electrochemical Machining of Hard to Cut Alloys
Laser Assisted Jet Electrochemical Machining (LAJECM) is a hybrid process which combines electrolyte jet and low power laser beam (375mW) to facilitate material removal. The main purpose of the laser is to enhance dissolution from the workpiece in the specific area giving faster dissolution in axial rather in lateral direction and in result higher dimension precision. Experimental analysis using stainless steel, titanium alloy and high carbon alloy has proved that laser assistance can yield up to 33% higher volumetric rate and up to 65% better dimensional accuracy. It has been also proved that laser enhances current efficiency during the machining process.
KeywordsTitanium Alloy Material Removal Current Efficiency Laser Assist High Carbon Steel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Rajurkar K.P., D. Zhu, J.A. McGeough, J. Kozak, A.K.M. De Silva, 1999, New Developments in Electro-Chemical Machining, Annals of the CIRP, Vol.48/2Google Scholar
- McGeough J.A., Pajak P.T., De Silva A.K.M., Harrison D.K., 2003, Recent Research and Developments in Electrochemical Machining, International Journal of Electric Machining, No. 8Google Scholar
- De Silva A.K.M., Altena H.S.J., McGeough J.A., 2003, Influence of Electrolyte Concentration on Copying Accuracy of Precision-ECM, Annals of the CIRP, Vol.52/1Google Scholar
- Kozak J., Rajurkar K.P., 2000, Selected Problems of Hybrid Machining Processes, Advances in Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.24, No.2Google Scholar
- Kozak J., Rajurkar K.P., 2001, Laser Assisted Electrochemical Machining, Transactions of the North American Manufacturing Research Institution of SME, Vol.XXIXGoogle Scholar
- Datta M., Romankiw L.T., Vigliotti D.R. et al., 1989, Jet and Laser-Jet Electrochemical Micromachining of Nickel and Steel, Journal of Electrochemical Society, Vol.136, No.8Google Scholar
- Pajak P.T., De Silva A.K.M., McGeough J.A., Harrison D.K., 2003, Investigations in Laser Assisted Electrochemical Machining, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on MMSS, Krakow, PolandGoogle Scholar
- Pajak P.T., De Silva A.K.M., Harrison D.K., McGeough J.A., 2004, Modelling the aspects of precision and efficiency in Laser Assisted Jet Electrochemical Machining (LAJECM), the ISEM XIV Proceedings (to be published in April 2004 )Google Scholar
- De Silva A.K.M., Pajak P.T., Harrison D.K., McGeough J.A., 2004, Modelling and Experimental Investigation of Laser Assisted Jet Electrochemical Machining, Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53/1 (to be published in July 2004 )Google Scholar