Capability Modelling and Knowledge Management
Organisations are realising how important it is to “know who knows what” and be able to make maximum use of the knowledge. The field of knowledge management is concerned with this issue. AIAI has been involved in the area of knowledge management for some time. AIAI has also been working on ontologies and — in particular — capability ontologies in the context of workflow systems, and is now applying knowledge management techniques to make additional use of the capability ontologies in knowledge management. A software system for supporting capability management, based on a capability ontology and other, well defined specifications, can help an organisation to align the skills of current and future employees with the strategic business objectives.
KeywordsKnowledge Management Project Team Skill Development Capability Management Skill Requirement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Macintosh A, Filby I and Tate A. Knowledge Asset Road Maps. In: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Practical Aspects of Knowledge Management (PAKM98). Basel, Switzerland, 1998.Google Scholar
- Alonso G, Agrawal D, El Abbadi A, and Mohan C. Functionality and Limitations of Current Workflow Management Systems. IEEE-Expert, 1997.Google Scholar
- Stader J. Results of the Enterprise Project. In: Proceedings of the 16th Int. Conference of the British Computer Society Specialist Group on Expert Systems, Cambridge, UK, 1996.Google Scholar
- Stader J. An Intelligent System For Bid Management. The International Journal of Project and Business Risk Management, Vol 1, Part 3, pp 299–314, 1997.Google Scholar
- Uschold M et al. “The Enterprise Ontology”. The Knowledge Engineering Review, Vol. 13, Uschold M and Tate A (eds.), 1998.Google Scholar
- Jarvis P, Stader J, Macintosh A, Moore J, and Chung P. What Right Do You Have to Do That? In: ICEIS - 1st International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems; Portugal, 1999.Google Scholar
- Wickler G, and Tate A. Capability Representations for Brokering: A Survey. Submitted to Knowledge Engineering Review, November 1999.Google Scholar
- Gil Y. http://coabs.globalinfotek.com/coabspublic/project_overview_pages/usc_isi_03.html Work on the Phosphorus project, concerned with capability matching for agent-based systems.