Advertisement

Planetary Nebulae and Supernova Remnants

Chapter
  • 72 Downloads

Abstract

These two structures in space represent late or final stages in the evolution of stars. About 95% of stars will end their evolution quietly,while the remaining 5% will detonate in violent supernova outbursts. The critical feature which determines a star’s final path is its mass.Stars unable to get below eight solar masses by the time their nuclear fusion reactions end will go supernova, while one member of some binary stars will explode as an end-point of a process involving mass exchange.These types of supernova are known as type II and type I respectively.

Keywords

Black Hole Neutron Star White Dwarf Supernova Remnant Supernova Explosion 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag London 2000

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.CheltenhamUK
  2. 2.CaliforniaUSA

Personalised recommendations