Reconstructing and Augmenting Architecture with Image-Based Modeling, Rendering, and Lighting
This abstract presents techniques and creative projects that use digital photographs of the real world to create realistic 3D models and virtual cinematography of architectural scenes. In these projects, images are used to determine the structure, appearance, and lighting conditions of the scenes. An important component of this work is Façade, an interactive photogrammetric modeling system that uses geometric primitives to model the scene. Subsequent work has been done to recover lighting and reflectance properties of real scenes and to illuminate synthetic objects with light captured from the real world. The projects presented include Façade (1996), Rouen Revisited (1996), The Campanile Movie (1997), and Fiat Lux (1999).
KeywordsReal Scene Global Illumination Geometric Primitive Synthetic View Berkeley Campus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ADDISON, A. C., MACLEOD, D., MARGOLIS, G., NAIMARK, M., and SCHWARTZ, H.-P. Museums without walls: New media for new museums. In Computer Graphics annual Conference Series (SIGGRAPH 95) (August 1995), R. Cook, Ed., pp. 480–481.Google Scholar
- 2.DEBEVEC, P. Rendering synthetic objects into real scenes: Bridging traditional and image-based graphics with global illumination and high dynamic range photography. In SIGGRAPH 98 (July 1998).Google Scholar
- 3.DEBEVEC, P., HAWKINS, T., TCHOU, C., DUIKER, H.-P., SAROKIN, W., and SAGAR, M. Acquiring the reflectance field of a human face. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2000 (July 2000), 145–156. ISBN 145–156-145–156.Google Scholar
- 6.DEBEVEC, P. E., TAYLOR, C. J., and MALIK, J. Modeling and rendering architecture from photographs: A hybrid geometry-and image-based approach. In SIGGRAPH 96 (August 1996), pp. 11–20.Google Scholar
- 7.DEBEVEC, P. E., Yu, Y., and BORSHUKOV, G. D. Efficient view-dependent image-based rendering with projective texture-mapping. In 9th Eurographics workshop on Rendering (June 1998), pp. 105–116.Google Scholar
- 8.GORTLER, S. J., GRZESZCZUK, R., SZELISKI, R., and COHEN, M. F. The Lumigraph. In SIGGRAPH 96 (1996), pp. 43–54.Google Scholar
- 9.LEVOY, M., and HANRAHAN, P. Light field rendering. In SIGGRAPH 96 (1996), pp. 31–42.Google Scholar
- 10.NAIMARK, M., WOODFILL, J., DEBEVEC, P., and VILLAREAL, L Immersion ’94. http://www.debevec.org/Immersion/, 1994.
- 11.TAYLOR, C. J., and KRIEGMAN, D. J. Structure and motion from line segments in multiple images. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell. (November 1995).Google Scholar
- 12.Yu, Y., DEBEVEC, P., MALIK, J., and HAWKINS, T. Inverse global illumination: Recovering reflectance models of real scenes from photographs. In SIGGRAPH 99 (August 1999).Google Scholar
- 13.ZABIH, R., AND WOODFILL, J. Non-parametric local transforms for computing visual correspondence. In European Conference on Computer Vision (May 1994), pp. 151–158.Google Scholar