Screen Play: Film and the Future of Interactive Entertainment
This chapter looks at existing computer games and virtual environments from the perspective of film theory and practice. From this, we will draw conclusions about the ways in which the designers of computer games and virtual environments can use what has been discovered in the study of film to build more interesting, engaging and entertaining interactive narratives.
KeywordsVideo Game Virtual Environment Film Theory Screen Film Adventure Game
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benedikt, M. Cyberspace: some proposals, in Cyberspace: First Steps (ed. Michael Benedikt). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, p. 128.Google Scholar
- Laurel, B. (1993) Computers as Theatre. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Mamet, D. (1992) “Storytelling”. On Directing Film. London: Faber & Faber, p. 3.Google Scholar
- Murray, J.H. (1997) Hamlet on the Holodeck - The Future of Narrative in Cyberspace. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Wertheim, M. (1999) The Pearly Gates of Cyberspace - A History of Space from Dante to the Internet. London: Virago, p. 97.Google Scholar