Orthofaces for Face Recognition
This paper describes a novel face recognition method, the orthoface method. The method is efficient and invariant to variation in lighting conditions, facial expressions and alien objects. At the centre of the orthoface method is a set of basis vectors named the orthofaces. Orthofaces are more effective basis vectors from a discrimination viewpoint because each of them accounts for the individual features of a training face. We will explain the logic behind the orthoface method. We will also justify with both mathematical reasoning and experimental results why the orthoface method is the method that leads to effective classification strategies.
KeywordsManifold Covariance Anil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anil K. Jain, Robert P.W. Duin, and Jianchang Mao, Statistical Pattern Recognition: A Review, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 22, No1, January 2000.Google Scholar
- Belhumeur P., Hespanhu J. and Kriegman D., Eigen Faces vs. Fisherfaces: Recognition Using Class Specific Linear Projection, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 19, July 1997.Google Scholar
- Chellappa, R, Wilson, C., and Sirohey, S., Human and Maachine Recognition of Faces: A Survey, Proceedings of IEEE, Vol 83, No.5, 1995.Google Scholar
- Jolliffe, I.T., Principal Component Analysis. Springer-Verlag; New York; 1986.Google Scholar
- |Pentland, A., Moghaddam, B., and Stamer T.. View-Based and Modular Eigenspaces for Face Recognition. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition, 1994Google Scholar
- Turk, M. & Pentland, A., Eigenfaces for recognition, Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 3(1), 1991.Google Scholar
- Turk, M. & Pentland, A., Face recognition using eigenfaces, Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, June Maui, Hawaii, 1991.Google Scholar
- Welsh, J. W., and Shah. D., Facial-Feature Image Coding Using Principal Components, Electronic Letters. Vol. 28, October, 1992.Google Scholar