Free Vibration Analysis of Pyroshock-Loaded Hardened Structures
The free vibration response of a high stiffness, high strength (hardened) structural member is characterized under a variety of energetic and simulated pyroshock system inputs. The hardened structure studied is a structural pipe which includes a reinforcing material, e.g., a composite potting, with threaded end caps. Impulsive loads are imparted on the structure using bulk explosives and non-energetic impacts. The free vibration response of the structure is measured using a variety of sensors (accelerometers and strain gages); the observed experimental modes are compared with computationally estimated and experimentally observed principle modes up to approximately 5 kHz. The operating (output-only) response of the system is also compared to show the effects of damaged reinforcing materials on the vibration frequencies and observed damping. The operating mode shapes also exhibit nonlinearities which are discussed, with possible explanations including rate- and amplitude-dependent damping.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Harris, C.M., and Piersol, A.G., 2002, Shock and Vibration Handbook, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- 2.Powers, D., ”Summary of Testing Techniques,“ Shock and Vibration Bulletin, 1986, Vol. 56, pp. 135–142.Google Scholar
- 3.Keon, S.P., ”Pyrotechnic Shock Testing: Real Test Lab Experiences at EBA&D,“ 2006.Google Scholar
- 4.Bai, M., and Thatcher, W., ”High G Pyrotechnic Shock Simulation Using Metal-to-Metal Impact,“ Shock and Vibration Bulletin, 1979, Vol. 49, pp. 96–100.Google Scholar
- 5.Davie, N., ”The Controlled Response of Resonating Fixtures Used to Simulate Pyroshock Environments,“ Shock and Vibration Bulletin, 1986, Vol. 56, pp. 119–124.Google Scholar
- 7.Inman, D.J., 2008, Engineering Vibration, Pearson, Upper Saddle River, pp. 485–487.Google Scholar
- 8.Johnson, G.R., et al., 1987, ”User Instructions for the EPIC-3 Code,“ available from AFATL-TR-86-51.Google Scholar
- 9.2009, LS-DYNA User’s Manual, LSTC.Google Scholar
- 11.2005, ”Model 7270A Accelerometer Data Sheet,“ Endevco Corporation.Google Scholar