Comparative Analysis of Triaxial Shock Accelerometer Output
Shock accelerometer internal and mounting dynamics are analyized and the contribution to the sensor output is evaluated. This includes an analysis of uniaxial and triaxial accelerometer cross-talk (cross axis sensitivity effects), the filtering characteristics of polysulfide films, and the influence of triaxial block transient dynamic response on the shock accelerometer output. It is shown that the polysulfide acts as a lowpass filter and dissipates energy in the frequency range of sensor resonance. Features in the data, such as energy spectral density, cross axis sensitivity, and mode shapes of the triaxial block are highlighted.
KeywordsTitanium Attenuation Beryllium Dick Polysulfide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Foley, J. R., Dodson, J. C., Schmidt, M., Gillespie, P., Dick, A., Idesman, A. and Inman, D. J., "Wideband Characterization of the Shock and Vibration Response of Impact Loaded Structures," in SEM IMAC XXVII, Orlando, FL, 2009Google Scholar
- 2.Bateman, V. I., Brown, F. A. and Nusser, M. A.,"High Shock, High Frequency Characteristics of a Mechanical Isolator for a Piezoresistive Accelerometer, the ENDEVCO 7270AM6", Sandia National Laboratory Report SAND2000-1528, 2000Google Scholar
- 3.Bateman, V. I., R.G., B., Brown, F. A. and Davie, N. T., "Evaluation of Uniaxial and Triaxial Shock Isolation Techniques for a Piezoresistive Accelerometer," in 61st Shock and Vibration Symposium, 1990Google Scholar
- 4.Winfree, N. A. and Kang, J. H., "Resonance Prevention of Accelerometers Using Multiple-Layer Rigid Filters," in 79th Shock and Vibration Symposium, Orlando, FL, 2008Google Scholar
- 5."Model 7270A Accelerometer Data Sheet", Endevco Corporation, 2005Google Scholar
- 7.Bateman, V. I. and Brown, F. A.,"The Use of a Beryllium Hopkinson Bar to Characterize In-Axis and Cross- Axis Accelerometer Response in Shock Environments", Sandia National Laboratory Report SAND97-2862, 1999Google Scholar
- 8.Bateman, V. I., Brown, F. A. and Davie, N. T., "Use of a Beryllium Hopkinson Bar to Characterize a Piezoresistive Accelerometer in Shock Enviroments", Journal of the Institute of Environmental Sciences, Vol 39 No 6 Nov/Dec, pp 33–39, 1996Google Scholar
- 9.Sill, R. D. and Seller, E. J., "Accelerometer Transverse Sensitivity Measurement Using Planar Orbital Motion," in 77th Shock and Vibration Symposium, Monterey, CA, 2006Google Scholar