Non-Local Functionals for Imaging
Non-local functionals have been successfully applied in a variety of applications, such as spectroscopy or in general filtering of time-dependent data. We mention the patch-based denoising of image sequences [Boulanger et al. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging (2010)]. Another family of non-local functionals considered in these notes approximates total variation denoising. Thereby we rely on fundamental characteristics of Sobolev spaces and the space of functions of finite total variation (see [Bourgain et al. Journal d’Analyse Mathématique 87, 77–101 (2002)] and several follow up papers). Standard results of the calculus of variations, like for instance the relation between lower semi-continuity of the functional and convexity of the integrand, do not apply, in general, for the non-local functionals. In this paper we address the questions of the calculus of variations for non-local functionals and derive relations between lower semi-continuity of the functionals and separate convexity of the integrand. Moreover, we use the new characteristics of Sobolev spaces to derive novel approximations of the total variation energy regularisation. All the functionals are well-posed and reveal a unique minimising point. Even more, existing numerical schemes can be recovered in this general framework.
KeywordsNon-local functionals Derivative free model Total variation regularisation Neighbourhood filter Patch-based filter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The work of CP and OS has been supported by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) within the research networks NFNs Industrial Geometry, Project S09203, and Photoacoustic Imaging in Biology and Medicine, Project S10505-N20.
- 1.Aubert, G., Kornprobst, P.: Can the nonlocal characterization of Sobolev spaces by Bourgain et al. be useful for solving variational problems? SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis 47, 844 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Boulanger, J., Kervrann, C., Salamero, J., Sibarita, J.-B., Elbau, P., Bouthemy, P.: Patch-based non-local functional for denoising fluorescence microscopy image sequences. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Bourgain, J., Brézis, H., Mironescu, P.: Another look at Sobolev spaces. In: Optimal Control and Partial Differential Equations, IOS Press, Amsterdam (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Elbau, P.: Sequential lower semi-continuity of non-local functionals. Arxiv preprint (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Fonseca, I., Leoni, G.: Modern methods in the calculus of variations: Lp spaces. Springer (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Pontow, C., Scherzer, O.: A derivative-free approach to total variation regularization. Arxiv preprint arXiv:0911.1293 (2009)Google Scholar
- 21.Tomasi, C., Manduchi, R.: Bilateral filtering for gray and color images. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Computer Vision, Volume 846 (1998)Google Scholar
- 22.Vogel, C.R.: Computational methods for inverse problems. Frontiers in Mathematics, Volume 23. SIAM (2002)Google Scholar
- 23.Yaroslavsky, L.P., Yaroslavskij, L.P.: Digital picture processing: An introduction. Springer (1985)Google Scholar