Estimation of Damping for one of the New European Court Towers in Luxembourg
The two new high rise buildings for the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg have been tested by harmonic shakers and by Operational Modal Analysis. The background for the tests is to estimate the influence on the damping of one of the towers from an array of Tuned Liquid Dampers (TLDs) placed on top of the building. The TLDs have been designed to minimise the response of the buildings to wind loading, resulting in an increase in occupancy comfort. The harmonic excitation is performed to estimate the damping at a response level corresponding to moderate wind loading whereas the OMA has been performed under minimum wind loading. The paper presents the testing programme and the main results of which one is a clear non-linear behaviour of the introduced viscous damping system. To the authors’ knowledge, no other structural excitation of this scale has been undertaken, before and after the application of tuned damping systems, in which the damping system is completely independent of the excitation system.
KeywordsRubber Auto Correlation Geophone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.INCA Ingenieurs Conseils Associes. www.inca-ing.lu. Technical report.
- 2.Danish Maritime Institue: Wind-tunnel tests with Salle de Concert a Luxembourg-Kirchberg. Technical report, Danish Maritime Institute, Project Report, Ref. 2001208, April 2002.Google Scholar
- 3.Christos T. Georgakis: Tuned Liquid Dampers for the Twin Towers of "Cour de Justice des Communautees Europeennes, Luxembourg Feasibility Study. Technical report, Force Technology, 2003.Google Scholar
- 4.FORCE Technology: Tuned Liquid Dampers for the Twin Towers of Cour de Justice des Commuautees Europeennes Luxembourg - Experimental Testing. Technical report, FORCE Technology, April 2004.Google Scholar
- 5.FORCE Technology: Tuned Liquid Dampers for the Twin Towers of Cour de Justice des Commuautees Europeennes Luxembourg - Detailed Analysis. Technical report, FORCE Technology, Report, April 2004.Google Scholar
- 6.FORCE Technology: Tuned Liquid Dampers for the Twin Towers of Cour de Justice des Commuautees Europeennes Luxembourg - TLD Re-Analysis. Technical report, FORCE Technology, Report, August 2004.Google Scholar
- 7.Joan Hee Roldsgaard and Mads Christiansen: Determination of the Dynamic Characteristics of Large Structures through Full-Scale Testing, master thesis in the period September 1 to February 28 2010, Technical University of Denmark.Google Scholar
- 9.Brincker, R.,Bolton, B. and Brandt, A.: Calibration and Processing of Geophone Signals for Structural Google Scholar
- 10.Vibration Measurements. In Proc of IMAC XXVII, A Conference on Structural Dynamics, Feb 1-4, 2010, Jacksonville, Floria, USA.Google Scholar
- 12.Brincker R, Ventura CE, Andersen P.: Damping Estimation by Frequency Domain Decomposition. In: Proceedings of IMAC 19: A Conference on Structural Dynamics : februar 5-8, 2001, Hyatt Orlando, Kissimmee, Florida, 2001, Society for Experimental Mechanics. 2001, 698-703 pp.Google Scholar
- 13.Van Overschee, P. and De Moor, B. Subspace identification for linear systems: Theory, implementation, applications. Kluwer Academic Publishers 1996.Google Scholar