Dynamic Characterization of Satellite Components through Non-Invasive Methods
The rapid deployment of satellites is hindered by the need to flight-qualify their components and the resulting mechanical assembly. Conventional methods for qualification testing of satellite components are costly and time consuming. Furthermore, full-scale vehicles must be subjected to launch loads during testing. This harsh testing environment increases the risk of component damage during qualification. The focus of this research effort was to assess the performance of Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) techniques as a replacement for traditional vibration testing. SHM techniques were applied on a small-scale structure representative of a responsive satellite. The test structure consisted of an extruded aluminum space-frame covered with aluminum shear plates, which was assembled using bolted joints. Multiple piezoelectric patches were bonded to the test structure and acted as combined actuators and sensors. Various methods of SHM were explored including impedance-based health monitoring, wave propagation, and conventional frequency response functions. Using these methods in conjunction with finite element modelling, the dynamic properties of the test structure were established and areas of potential damage were identified and localized. The adequacy of the results from each SHM method was validated by comparison to results from conventional vibration testing. LA-UR 10-07115.
KeywordsMode Shape Damage Index Structural Health Monitoring Modal Assurance Criterion Shear Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avitabile, P. (2006). Cantilever Beam Experiment. Retrieved 2010 йил 8-August from University of Massachusetts Lowell: http://faculty.uml.edu/pavitabile/22.403/web_downloads/Final_Project_Cantilever_101806.pdf
- LANL. (2008 йил November). Cube satellite being prepared for launch. Retrieved 2010 йил 8-August from Currents - Employee Monthly Magazine: http://www.lanl.gov/news/currents/2008/nov/cube_sats.shtml
- PiezoSystems. (2008). Introduction to Piezoelectric Transducers. Retrieved 2010 йил 8-August from Piezo Systems: http://www.piezo.com/tech2intropiezotrans.html
- Voss, D., Coombs, J., Fritz, T., & Dailey, J. (2009). A novel spacecraft standard for a modular nanosatellite bus in an operationally responsive space environment. 7th Responsive Space Conference (pp. 1-11). Los Angeles: AIAA.Google Scholar
- Yachbes, I., Roopnarine, Sadick, S., Arrit, B., & Gardenier, H. (2008). Rapid Assembly of Spacecraft Structures for Operationally Responsive Space. 6th Responsive Space Conference (pp. 1-10). Los Angeles: AIAA.Google Scholar