Modeling Processes from Probabilities
John A. Jacquez passed away in October 1999 after a very distinguished career in biomedical modeling. Among his most influential accomplishments is the book Compartmental Analysis in Biology and Medicine, first published in 1972 and as the third edition in 1996. Others will no doubt give comprehensive reviews of his many lifetime achievements. The objective of this paper is to show how his work lays a strong foundation for the present topic, namely modeling processes from probabilities. We recognize that this topic is only a small part of his book, and we leave it to others to point out the richness of his work in additional areas of great importance in biomedical modeling.
KeywordsTransit Time Hazard Rate Compartmental Model Mean Residence Time Transfer Probability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, D.M., and Matis, J.H., 1990, KINETICA,A Program for Kinetic Modeling in Biological Sciences, Department of Statistics, University of Kentucky, Lexington.Google Scholar
- Cohen, J.E., 1980, Review of: Compartmental Analysis of Ecosystem Models, Quart. Rev. Biol. 55:453–454.Google Scholar
- Ellis, W.C., Matis, J.H., Hill, T.M., and Murphy, M.R., 1994, Methodology for estimating digestion and passage kinetics of forages, in: Forage Quality, Evaluation and Utilization, G.C. Fahey, Jr. ed., American Society of Agronomy, Madison.Google Scholar
- Ellis, W.C., Poppi, D.P., Matis, J.H., Lippke, H., Hill, T.M., and Rouquette, F.M. Jr., 1999, Dietary-digestive-metabolic interactions determining potential of ruminant diets, in: Nutritional Ecology of Herbivores, H.J.G. Jung and G.C. Fahey, Jr., eds., American Society of Animal Science, Savoy.Google Scholar
- Jacquez, J. A., 1996, Compartmental Analysis in Biology and Medicine, 3rd ed., BioMedware, Ann Arbor.Google Scholar
- Matis, J.H., and Wehrly, T.E., 1998, A general approach to non-Markovian compartmental models, J. Pharmacokin. Biopharm. 26:437–456.Google Scholar
- Matis, J.H., Wehrly, T.E., and Metzler, CM., On some stochastic formulations and related statistical moments in pharmacokinetic models, J. Pharmacokin. Biopharm. 11:77–92.Google Scholar
- Weiss, G.H., Goans, R.E., Gitterman, M., Abrams, S.A., Vieira, N.E., and Yergey, A.L., 1994, A non-Markovian model for calcium kinetics, J. Pharmacokin. Biopharm. 22:367–379.Google Scholar